1.08.2012

Mod Podge Makes the World Go Round

So I was totally going to just leave those two pictures of glittered up clothes pins from my "think unicorns" previous writing to speak for themselves.  Glitter.  Clothes pins.  Simple.  

But I can't leave them hanging.  They are too much of a heart happy to be left out on the line.  And I will stop now with the clothes pin puns.

Moving on. 

One morning during that lovely week known as Christmas break, Brittany and I had a craftie session in her dining room.  Well first we made the trek with her two girls in tow to the Hobby Lobby and to the Menards to gather supplies.  Then we grabbed the necessary Big Apple goodness.  It really adds to the craftie sessions.  A warm bagel and a hot cup of coffee.  With a side of little hands playing in the cream cheese. 


Then the baby went down for a nap and a movie was turned on for the three year old and Britt and I sat across from each other at a folding table and all was right in the world.  If you need to feel fantastic about life, invest in glitter glue and clothes pins.  I'm telling you, while you smear the glitter glue across the wood of the clothes pin, you will feel a calm sense of happiness.


Never mind that when they are done, you will want to squeal for how amazing they look.  We both obsessed over them for the rest of our craftie time.  Saying things like, "Uhhh...I just want to squeeze them!"  And when Steve came home for lunch, he might have questioned our sanity.  Boys.  They just don't get it.  


Next up was a project Brittany found on Pinterest.  It's about as easy as it comes and will make you want to slap your momma when it's done.  Scrapbook paper.  Ceramic tiles (although ours were stone tiles because the Menards let us down).  Mod Podge.  Clear spray paint.  Felt circle things for the bottoms.  Voila!  Coasters.

I made this zebra set for a wedding present to be used that very night.  The bride can pull off zebra.  I know she can.  She received glitter clothes pins clipped around a red LOVE magnet as well.  Her now husband you ask?  He can just enjoy the glitter and zebra and love right along with her.   


Mod Podge looks exactly like it did when I was a little in the 80s crafting with Grandma Gladys.  I couldn't help but think of her as I painted it on in a perfect manner.  I actually looked up and said, "I could paint this Mod Podge on these tiles for the rest of my days and make the lines all straight and be content."

Here's where I admit I should let some things go because it doesn't really matter if the lines on the Mod Podge are straight because it dries clear.  It dries clear.  And glossy.  So just let it buck.  Unless you're like me and can't do that.  In that case, celebrate the need to obsess and be giddy while you do it.   


And finally, we cut scrapbook paper to the exact size of a clothes pin and went ahead and Mod Podged that right up.  Seriously satisfying.  Try it.


Now I have twine strung from all kinds of areas of my house.  Around bathroom mirrors.  Above the fireplace.  Across coat hooks.  And I have been clothes pinning up photos and momentos like a crazy girl.  Let me tell you what.  Putting a picture up of people you love with a glitter or a zebra or a houndstooth or a polka dot or a floral clothes pin on a piece of twine is guaranteed to make you clap your hands together and shout out a "Hell yeah!"

Now I must admit I agonized and googled and dictionaried to decide if clothes pin is one word or two.  Cothespin?  Clothes pin?  Clothespinning?  Clothes pinning?  I went with two.  And I'm sticking to it.  

1 comment:

Brittany Miller said...

It was a fun and successful craft session, for sure!