2.11.2011

The Story Behind...


...my ditty "lip gloss makes my heart happy" and calling my students chicken wings...

It all started one day, two years ago, with my students.  Just a normal, run of the mill, day of teaching the future.  In fact, I believe it was during math.  For some reason, right in the middle of teaching I walked over to my desk and declared, “Hold on, I need a little lip gloss.”  Then, I continued to very deliberately and slowly apply lip gloss {I can turn anything into a production} and of course the kids were all, “What is wrong with my teacher?  How come I didn’t get a normal teacher?”  

Then, and I have no explanation why other than I really felt this way, I said to the future, “Do you want to know why I needed a little lip gloss?"  They were still all, "What is wrong with my teacher?  How come I didn't get a normal teacher?"  So then I continued on, "Because, it makes my heart happy.”   Where it came from, I have not clue but in that moment, I actually had the realization that when I applied a little lip gloss, my heart really did feel happy.  Well, they rolled their eyes and giggled and the next thing I knew the heart happy thing became a little tradition in our classroom.  If I even started to head to my desk and say, “I need a little...” the kids would jump in and say, “Lip gloss.  You need lip gloss because it makes your heart happy.” 

Then, I started having the kids say at random times throughout the day what made their hearts happy.  I'd ask when we were waiting in line or when we had a little transition time.  Usually, they would all have close to the same answers - my friends, video games, no homework.  But one time, on our way home from a field trip, I turned to a student I called Scooter and said, “Scooter, what makes your heart happy?”

And here's what he said after some serious, I mean serious, contemplation...

“Boneless chicken wings."

He continued on, while smiling his big toothless grin, "Yep, boneless chicken wings make my heart happy.  With the second sauce on the list from Buffalo Wild Wings.”  

Say what now?  I laughed.  Out loud.  Because here I thought Scooter was going to tell me something Earth shaking because of the seriousness with which he was taking the question but no.  No, instead he said boneless chicken wings made his heart happy.  Simple little things that had obviously left a big impression on him. 

We all shared a laugh with Scooter that day and I started calling my students chicken wings.  Then, the whole heart happy thing became even more of a tradition in our classroom and beyond.  Pretty soon everyone we came in contact with was asked the question, "What makes your heart happy?"  Inevitably, someone from the class would say to the person being asked, “Boneless chicken wings make Scooter’s heart happy!”  Of course we’d all laugh again. 

As time went on, I started sharing my little heart happy stories of lip gloss and boneless chicken wings to others at random times.  In the line at the grocery store, out with friends, really anywhere was a good place to ask, “What makes your heart happy?”  I love hearing all of the different responses!  Here are some that I can remember:
  • hot dog bubble gum 
  • time on the couch with my wife
  • a new outfit 
  • an evening with nothing planned
  • dancing
  • alone time and it doesn't matter what I'm doing
  • driving with no destination
  • quilting
  • music
  • an afternoon at the lake
  • watching my kids' sports events
  • unsweetened ice tea
  • getting my hair cut
  • reading
  • chopping vegetables {ok, this might be mine}
  • seeing my grandkids
  • when my husband cleans the house
  • coffee dates with friends
  • mowing the lawn
  • sitting by the fireplace
  • November
  • trying a new recipe
  • a good durum crop
  • making people laugh
  • exercising
  • creating something with my hands
  • writing cards to people
  • a laughing baby
  • visiting my grandparents
  • capturing moments {ok, this might be mine again}
  • when the cows are fed for the day
  • file folders with plastic tabs
  • people working together
  • the day after we finish harvesting
  • fabric shopping and feeling the fabric
The list goes on and on.  I must admit, the hot dog bubble gum  is one of my favorites.   The person who said that didn't even have to think when I asked her.  She just blurted out right away, "Hot dog bubble gum!!  Like from when I was a kid!"  Love it.  

Here's another random one from me...coming to work super early in the morning to do lesson planning.  I love being at the school when it's all quiet and the day is fresh.  But, in order for my heart to be really happy during this, I must be listening to some old school country tunes, drinking hot coffee, and wearing a ridiculous amount of jewelry...especially dangly earrings.  Those are a must for early morning lesson planning.


However, those crazy forehead wrinkles are not a must for my heart to be happy.  Mental note to self.  Do not do that cheesy smile with your face scrunched up because then it appears you need Botox to make your heart happy.  Another mental note to self.  Learn how to be not so expressive when you talk or you are going to be a wrinkled mess by the time you are thirty.  Your face does not need to be in constant motion in order to tell a story.      

I'm side tracked once again.   

Anyways...what makes your heart happy?  I would love to know!   
 

12 comments:

Kathy Jensen said...

My little munchkins and my boys!!

Anonymous said...

Watching Kevin play "Dragons" with his 'litte dragon & baby dragon' as Brennan calls himself & Hank. The giggles that come from all three of my boys - that makes my heart happy.

Candice

Jessie said...

Lopping with my horse - that makes my heart happy! But also being at the lake with my kids playing - that too makes my heart happy. I don't think I should think about these two things in the dead of winter! Life's good :)
Jessie

PS - That yellow coffee mug looks like a great mug!

Anonymous said...

A good cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

The sun shining on Easter morning. For some reason a warm, sunshiny Easter morning comes to mind.

Tonya said...

*quiet house early before sunrise with a cup of coffee
*a little body snuggling in with you
*my almost 3 year old not leaving the house until she puts on her pretend lipstick..and her bracelet
*when my kids tell me they love home
*Thanksgiving
*mom's bread
* LIFE!!! :)

Anonymous said...

*Listening the Steve & the kids wrestle around and laugh and laugh.
*Steve telling me to just stay sitting and he will make supper.
*family coming to visit.
*spending time with girlfriends.
*Having coffee/lunch/time with just me and my mom. This one just doesn't happen enough.

Summer

Kathy said...

**Watching Emma make the makers talk like they are her Barbies
**walking through Target Alone
**when the little people crawl up in the older girlies lap and they read stories.
**being a mom

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure I posted my list of heart happy things in the wrong spot! Doesn't surprise me!

Elaine

Amy said...

So fun to read all of these! Thanks for sharing! And Elaine...it makes my heart happy that you posted your comment on the wrong one. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jessie but have to add...Walking to Christmas Eve Candle light service with a light snow falling. Tanya

PS Love your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Riding horse every day, every summer. :)