11.04.2014

Let Your Right to Choose Run Today

Sunday morning I went for a run in the most perfect of conditions - sun, no wind, and a restless mind.   When I finished, an opposite of restless was pumping through my veins and I wrote this:
 
I just finished a long run in the fall sunshine.  With every stride and deep breath, I contemplated and fought with some feelings about standing up and saying what I believe or remaining seated and staying quiet.  I'm standing.  To say I strongly hope that the people of this state will also rise.  Rise to not undo the years of fighting for women's rights and civil rights and the many things this country is supposed to not only promote but also protect.  I am in no way for the misuse of the one part of Measure 1 everyone seems to stick on.  I am, however, a strong woman myself and never want to see another strong woman forced into a situation where they have lost their rights.  There are countries all over this big world that demean women on a minute-by-minute basis.  Ours isn't one.  Keep it that way.  I also want no one at the end of their long, happy, and successful life be made to have their time end on someone else's terms other than their own and their family's.  I realize there are others who believe differently than I do.  I also realize that's yet another beautiful thing about living in the United States...we can believe in different ideals but still respect each other. 
 
I wrote it on my phone as I was walking around the block and then I shared it, and am sharing it now. 
 
This morning, before the sun came up I voted.  This is probably the most passionate election I've faced in my life.  It made me feel much differently when walking out - I can imagine all those women and men who fought long and hard for years to be given the rights they deserved, and we continue to deserve, would feel the same way. 
 
I'm thankful to live in a country where I can hang rainbows on my wall, believe what I want to believe, read what I want to read, and vote what I want to vote.  Please take your right to choose and let it run today. 
 


No comments: