9.19.2010

Awkward

So this is all kinds of awkward to talk about, but I need to.  Therefore, I will.  I started this blog on a whim and never figured anyone but Momma Debi would read it.  And, my friend Brittany.  I knew she would read it because she's just crazy like that.  Refer to this story for proof.  Anyways, I didn't really think it would turn into a place to grow my photography business, vent my neurotic tendencies, connect with people, or help on the journey of cancer with Momma Debi.  But, turns out, this silly thing has done all of the above.  It's weird though, sharing bits of my life with who knows who.  You see, at first, I could basically count on one hand the number of times anyone viewed this blog.  Now, there are quite a bit more views and sometimes it feels odd to have this one way conversation.  Makes me feel like I'm talking to myself {and, please I do that enough as it is}.   

Many of you send me emails, messages on facebook, tell me in person, etc... that you enjoy reading the blog or that it has helped you or entertained you or made you realize you weren't alone in your cleaning craziness.  Like I said, this is all kinds of awkward because really, I think I'm just a nut.  I think to myself, "Who would want to listen to my words or look at my pictures?"  I really do.

Ok, I'll keep going now. 

I know sometimes what you share with me you only want me to see.  Of course when that is the case, by all means, send me a private message.  But, if you don't mind others reading your words, I would very much so appreciate you leaving your comments on the actual blog page.  Here's why: this has become my journal.  My story in a sense.  And, I would love for your reactions to my ramblings to be an attachment to it.  I'm thinking I will print this blog every year so I have a hard copy to go back to and reflect about where I was and where I'm headed.  If you leave your thoughts other places {email, facebook}, I won't have them with this later on.  Because I'm a tad forgetful, I probably won't remember what you told me.  That makes me feel a bit disheartened because so many times your words have meant the world to me.

Have I mentioned this is awkward?  

Part of the reason I know some of you email or facebook message is because it's hard for you to comment on here.  I'll explain the easiest way to do that so maybe that will help.  When you click on comment, this box shows up.


I circled, in red, the two options that are the easiest for commenting.  If you click on the name one,  all you have to do is enter your name {just first is fine} and then comment away.  If you click on anonymous you don't have to enter your name, but you still can at the end of your message if you want...totally up to you.  With any of the previous methods, you do have to do the word verification thing because it wants to make sure you are an actual human.  Then, you just hit publish, I get an email saying you commented, I will approve your comment, and voila!

Now, I hope more of you will leave your comments here instead of other places {again, unless you want only me to see it} so they will become a piece of my story.  And, if you don't want to, that's totally fine too!  I won't take your birthday away or anything.   

And, since I'm all about sticking my neck out right now...I have one last thing to say.  When I put pictures up on this blog, I reduce the resolution.  They are not in full quality; they are blurry if you print them or look at them larger or use them for anything else.  So, please don't right click and save these photos because they aren't the quality I would want them to be for you.  I'm all about sharing, so if you see a picture you enjoy and want, just pop me an email and we can figure out how to get it to you in full resolution.  I've even had a couple of people order art work for their walls from pictures on this blog, by all means, I'm happy to oblige!  :)  I just don't want my pictures to be used when they are not in their full quality.  That's all.  

Ok, I'm think I'm done with this uncomfortable one sided conversation.  If it made you feel as uncomfortable as it made me feel, I'm sorry.  Just pretend like it never happened.   

Wait, one more thing, just to entice you to figure out the commenting on the blog thing instead of email or facebook, I will randomly pick a comment from this post and give the winner an 11x14 picture of your choice from any of my blog posts printed with a fun metallic finish ready to hang on your wall.  You could tell me your shoe size, your favorite kind of toothpaste, your favorite thing to clean in your house...you know, really anything!  And, if you can't think of what to say in your comment, since summer is over and out...tell me your favorite  memory from your summer.  Maybe it was enjoying a s'more at sunset...


I'll pick the winner winner chicken dinner on Thursday {September 23} in the late afternoon.  Until then, go live your dream!      

19 comments:

Momma Debi said...

I am thankful for all the the prayers and support that your writings have brought to me as I continue my journey with cancer.

Ann said...

I like Crest toothpaste and wear a size 8 1/2 shoe.

Anonymous said...

Warm summer evenings with family and friends are at the top of my list.

Danae said...

Amy, I love you and love that even if I can't talk to you everyday because we are both so busy, I can still kinda have a conversation with you. Because as I read, I answer your questions and agree with what you say. That is why you and I get along so well, we are both half cracked!!

Patti Abrahamson said...

Amy- you will never know the BIG HUGE WONDERFUL smiles you put on our faces as we read your blog.. Being from the big city of Carpio myself, I so enjoy keeping up to date what happens & seeing the farm scenes that bring back so many happy memories to me. Growing up with mom, dad, and 4 other (adopted I can only be sure) brothers & sisters on farm has no comparison to this "city life" we now lead. I can hardly wait to be back on the farm. Keep up the wonderful work blogging & photography as you have a great future in both... But nothing will ever take over your ability to be the best teacher you can be... your parents & grandparents raised you well. :) ttyl. P.A.

Patti A. said...

Amy, you will never know what BIG, HUGE, WONDERFUL smiles you put on our faces as we read your blogs. Being from the big city of Carpio myself, it is wonderful to keep up to date on all the happenings & the memories of the great farm life we had in our youth. Growing up with Mom, Dad, and 4 other (I am sure they were adopted) brothers & sisters I anxiously await my wait out of this so called "city life". You have a wonderful career in photography and blogging, but you will never be able to replace that first love of teaching that you do so well. You had a great set of teachers yourself--parents & grandparents who were always there to lend a helping hand.. Even with snakes. :)

Kathy said...

Amy~I check you blog on a regular basis and I truly enjoy it. You take the most simple things and put them in perspective as we live our fast paced lives. Continue to share your Beautiful pictures and your Wonderful insights! By the way my shoe size is 8 & my fav summer memory is sharing a wonderful sunny day at the lake with good friends, watching the kids jetski and swim!
Thanx Kathy

Jessie Bock said...

hhhmmmmmm. What picture do I want ??? :)

Sil said...

Amy - where do I start with my comments........it's a good thing that you have your camera at 'ALL' events or I wouldn't have 1/2 or should we say 3/4 of the pictures of the kids! You do a wonderful job with your pics & your blog, kind of how I keep track of you :) Love you & keep up the good work!

Elaine said...

Thanks for all the memories and updates of my ND family. Love the pictures and wish you could come to MI and take some of my family here. Has to be before Christmas tho!! Well, maybe not necessarily. Love Elaine

Shannon Routledge said...

Amy - I love love reading your blog. I check it quite often as Brittany got me started! My favorite memory of the summer was the birth of my second girl and since I read your blog all the time when I refer to my kids and ask them about their sister I say Sister Pister - thanks for the new lingo!

Candice said...

Aims - where would we all be without you & you're camera?!?!? :o) we would have no pictures of our little chinchilla friend, french toast, B & Gus together, Youth Rodeos, & everything else! It's been fun to watch your photography get bigger & better all the time- you & you're new husband make a pretty good pair! Love ya girl!
p.s. - I like the crest whitening cinnamon rush toothpaste! :o)

Brittany Miller said...

Only you would leave a 'how to' on commenting!

Sandy said...

Amy - I have tried to use the comments feature before, but couldn't figure it out. I will try again. I know you know how much I love your blog and your writing and your photographs. They are beyond my wildest hopes and dreams. I think my favorite thing about your blog is how "real" you are...how sincere...how genuine. It is so refreshing in the kind of world we live in these days. I love the connection I can feel to you and your wonderful family. I love the way your writing and photos take me back to my youth, growing up on Audrey and Elmer's farm. I love the North Dakota scenes, especially the harvests, the haying, the seeding, the planting, the animals. I love being able to be a small part of your life - of Curt and Debi's life. You are so wonderful...Thanks for all the sharing that you do. Thanks for your kind and generous spirit and all your little idiosyncrasies...which make me feel part of my very big family in North Dakota even while I live my day-to-day life here in Michigan. Love, Sandy

Lisa said...

I enjoy reading your blog so very much. . . but I'm a lurker in the blogging world and do not comment on the blogs I read. Of course it's awkward when you don't know the person, but I know you from way back. And it's so nice to feel connected to where I grew up. That means I should comment away! I'll try to be better. :)

Kathy F. said...

Amy - I check FREQUENTLY to see if you've updated your blog. I don't know how you find the time to do it as often (and as well)as you do, but I'm so excited when there is a new one to read. You are truly my entertainment on some days (sometimes my ONLY entertainment!) Keep up the good work. PICK ME! PICK ME!

erind said...

so im pretty sure i remind you everytime we are together how much i love your blog and pictures...and i will probably continue to tell you over and over! there is a part of me that wishes i could be as creative and open as you...i admire that about you so much. the other part of me realizes to be greatful to have such an inspiring female in my life...you are such a blessing! i have to admit i have used your words to speak for me in situations where i have similar feelings as what you say, but could or maybe would have never been able to speak it...thank you for that!
ps...it wasnt at all like blind date with a mime awkward

Summer said...

Amy - I love your blog, from your sometimes funny, sometimes inspiration stories to your photography. You are so very talented.

Kathy Jensen said...

Amy, I too check everyday to see what new photos and writings you have added! I get such a charge out of all that you write and I have been known to cry as well. When you wrote of your time in Rochester...well it took me back to that same place a year ago.

I, Amy, am your biggest fan (next to your Mom!) and I have given your name to LOTS of my friends for the opportunity to have their pictures taken by you! You are gonna go far!!!!