11.04.2014

Waiting Graciously

Taylor Swift's 1989 album is currently jamming through my house as I sit here in this flower chair in the middle of my living room.  I said jamming, I'm that cool.  I'm also so cool that I'm willing to admit I'm a big fan of T. Swift.  She did it again with this one I tell you.  It's not country and it makes me think I'm invincible and can write words right now that will make you give a double clap and a foot stomp and can run an extra seven minutes on the treadmill at the gym in the morning.  Isn't that what fantastic music is supposed to do?  Create inspiration.  Makers going to make, make, make...or shake, shake, shake.  Whichever.


I don't know what I want to say but my fingernails are painted and I have a cup of hot water next to me and my one leg is crossed over the other and there are dangly earrings hitting my neck and I feel that even though life is absolutely a wild/unpredictable ride right now, I'm happy.  Love a duck, I'm happy.  

My mom and I just had a chat on the phone.  Yes, I talk to Momma D. frequently.  She's a smart lady after all.  We talked about many things - small things and big things.  Mostly we just talked about whatever which happens to be my favorite kind of talk.  It came up at one point about my tendencies to always want to know every detail.   


For many years, my life has been rather routine.  High school - college - teach a classroom - work in the school - they are all structured - and now?  Now my life is not in the least bit routine.  Each and every single day is different.  This town, that town, this meeting, those people, this road...it's a continuous ball of change.  Which causes me to throw my hands up and yell a little, "I love this!" to the sky and at the same time, causes me to go into mild anxious fits of curling in a ball and whisper a little, "Well what's next?!"  

It's pushing me to grow and adapt yet again, which I'm ever so thankful for because I want to always be striving to be different than I was before.  To be learning and grooving and jamming to T. Swift's new album.


Momma Debi gave me some of the very best advice a few weeks ago when I was having an anxious fit.  She is my mom after all so it's like she knew one day that I happened to be home, she knew I needed a little grounding and a little something from her.  So, she drove in without a real reason.  She drove in and showed up at my door all like let's visit.  I didn't tell her it was a day of curling in a ball but she came.  I kid you not, sometimes moms are really something.  

"Amy, we can all have patience.  But real patience means not just waiting, but waiting graciously."  

Yes.  I will wait graciously.  

It's a mantra I have on repeat.  

Along with the song Wildest Dreams - Taylor nailed that one. 

These pictures are from a drive on the Beartooth Pass in Red Lodge while the fog rolled in, followed shortly by hail, and him proving his steady being yet again as he navigated us and his sense of adventure as he pulled over to let me capture, "This is actually where the unicorns live, I just know it!" 

We ran.  Ran through the rain to the edge of the lookout point, laughing and carrying on until the thunder hit and we both had the look of we need to get the hell out of here before we are struck down by lightning.  The drive down from that top lookout point held feelings I hope I never forget. 

ALIVE.  

Happy.

Content in the not knowing what's coming around the next foggy bend but being ready to tackle it when it does.   

Looking over and thinking yes, this guy is kinda good.  The kinda there being a big word.

No comments: