6.03.2013

This From the Girl

This is coming from the girl who used to consider boiling noodles as cooking and the girl who used to be entirely freaked out from the thought of raw chicken.  I blame the raw chicken loathing years on my childhood times of butchering chickens...the two nails on a board and the smell and the gut pulling...I will stop now but that business will haunt you for more than a day. 
 
Appetizing huh? 
 
Moving on. 
 
All of that oddness to say, I really love cooking.  The figuring out what combination of flavors will work and the chopping and the experimenting and the planning and really, I love it all. 
 
I tried this chicken fajita marinade last week and it was mighty tasty.  After it was cooked of course. 
 
 
Good thing I've overcome the raw chicken fear! 
 
1/2 cup of beer
1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or honey if you are weird like me)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (don't tell me if there is sugar in that sometimes it's better not to look thank you very much)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
dash of salt
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
 
Whisk and marinade for at least three hours as chicken doesn't like to let marinade in.  They are independent ones, not wanting to break down their walls...
 
And that is why I should not have this much free time.  I'm one step away from chicken relationship psychology analogies.   
 
 
Let me count the ways I can photograph garlic and lime.  Again with the free time. 
 
 
Then, chop your fajita veggies and admire their beauty. 
 
 
Then right before the chicken is thrown on the grill, make some homemade guacamole with avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, salt, pepper, and lemon or lime juice. 
 
 
Once you go homemade with guacamole, you'll never go back.
 
 
And finally, right as the chicken is hitting the heat on the patio, give your veggies a slight dusting of Cajun spice and olive oil while they sauté in the kitchen.  I've never used Cajun before for this task, but it really worked well with the flavor from the marinade and the smear of guacamole I put on every single bite.  Delicious! 
 
Cooking.  Oh how I love you. 
 


No comments: