4.14.2014

Sunsets are Universal

The world is a big, big place.  

Obvious yes.  

But really it is beyond vast with many, many opportunities to do and see and feel.   

I think of this each and every time I travel anywhere, even if it's simply a couple of hours to a neighboring town.  There's different everywhere, in every hop-skip-and jump and I love that sentiment.  Like squeeze hug kind of love it.  

Sunsets are universal in the notion that the big orange ball which sits high during the day makes its descent down to dip behind the horizon.  A sunset is quite literally the sun setting and that doesn't change with location.  

However, a sunset is far from universal in the experience and landscape which surrounds it.  A desert sunset in March on top of South Mountain is entirely not the same as a North Dakota sunset in an open prairie field on the same evening. 


I've decided this.  I don't have to pick which different I like better, in travel and in anything really.  I can experience them both, them all, with the appreciation for the other at the same time.  I love that sentiment as well.  I don't have to be a one track person, because I am free to swallow up many of those opportunities this world and all its places and faces offer.  


The view is worth the trip up the mountain, which can be interesting.  Interesting in the sense of car sickness and random skateboarders flying down the narrow road and a man who is dressed too much like a cowboy stopping on his horse in the middle of the road.  All worth it.  Besides, I love when odd things happen.  Big fan. 


It goes without saying that a sunset is even more special when shared with loved ones, especially when they are loved ones called my parents who I catch being all together while sitting on a bench visiting away while I run around like a crazy person with my camera. 


The world is a big, big place with endless opportunities.  I know this.  You know this.  We all can forget this.  Let's raise a glass to not forgetting.  


Let's also raise a glass to traditions.  You know me, I am a tradition groupie.  Momma Debi said, "It's our tradition to go to In-and-Out Burger after South Mountain sunsets."  My heart went yes!  Because who am I to argue with any tradition, especially that one. 


No one.  I am no one to argue with that. 

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Stunningly beautiful photos and sentiments, Amy. I miss In and Out burgers, which used to be a part of special occasions when I lived in and visited CA. Didn't know they were in AZ. Good to know.

Amy said...

They are so awesome Sandy and worth every bite. ;)