8.22.2014

Never Happens That Way

I flutter at night.  Ping around doing this and finishing that and starting the other.  At eleven o'clock a night a couple of weeks in a hotel in some city in this state, I was trying to settle down.  It was hopeless really.  I had gone for a run at 5:00 and then made the errors of all errors - an iced coffee on the hour drive to the resting town for the night.  Wound up.  Eleven o'clock.  

This the conversation that occured between Karen and I via text.

Me in a string of four separate texts because when texting late at night it's important to make their phone ding four distinct times.  

Just had an idea!!
A fun ladder as a quilt rack.
Like a flat ladder that would lay against the wall.
Don't let me forget that!

She responded.  

???
Do you mean to be talking to your mama?
I don't quilt.  

I answered.

No you.

She came back.

Ohhhh, I get it!!  Yes!!
A quilt rack as a ladder.

Then I sent her a fist emoji.

That's a punch.  
As in, you fool.
Hahahahaha.
Remember our quilt rack discussions?

I mean I don't why at eleven o'clock at night her brain wouldn't go straight to understanding my entirely out of context and random ladder quilt rack string of thought bubbles.  The conversation ended with me saying something about how now I just had to find one and her saying she wouldn't let me forget and then me saying I'm wound up and her saying I know how you ping at night!  

So there you have it.  An idea was born.  Then last Sunday, I looked in my brother's shop and there it was!  Exactly what I had in mind.  When does that happen?  Never.  Things never happen that way, but this time it did and how lucky.  I power washed the ladder at the farm and it dried in my garage all this week while I was out traveling and working.  

Now it's a quilt rack ladder.   


My grandpa's ladder and my mom's quilts.  It simply doesn't get better than that; I love when a late night idea actually comes to fruition.  Of course one of the first things I did after setting it up was to text Karen.  

That's totally what friends are for.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

And it looks fantastic both in person and on the pictures. I like that the idea came first and then the ladder. Serendipity!