8.12.2011

Like Eating Sunflower Seeds

Summer is a keeper of rituals.  Cotton candy at the fair.  Whole afternoons at the swimming pool.  Sunscreen baths.  Later dinner times.  The smell of the outside on kids' hair.   Sunflower seeds at a baseball game.  Watermelon at a picnic.  Summertime holds those rituals tightly in its grasp and it only feels right for us to become card carrying members.  

For me, going to sit on a wooden bleacher bench in between two arenas on a Wednesday evening to watch horse events with dirt flying in the air and the sun sinking lower and lower is a summer ritual. 


One of those times when I think to myself.  Now this.  This is what summer is about.   

Littles figuring out they can be the boss and they are strong and capable.  


Competition between two friends.  Fierce competition.  Without letting it get in the way of their friendship.  Not an easily attainable task.  Trying to beat each other times at one moment.  Laughing and gossiping the next.


Snacks on the go with sticky hands and dirty feet knowing both are nothing a quick bath at home won't erase and that these memories are far more important than being to bed on time.


Yes, it's a summer ritual.  This Wednesday evening affair.  I don't go every week but when I do, that sinking into the couch after a long day feeling washes over me when I'm on those wooden bleacher benches.  


Like there is no where else I'd rather be.  

Than with this face with cupcake leftovers on her lips on one side of me.  


And this face with his neck tan line and his camera avoidance tactics on the other side of me.  


With all of us watching the action as the sun continues to slowly make its exit.   Sitting on the edge of the bleacher to see which one will take it this time.  Megan or Sister Pister.  Because there is never even a mere full second between their times.  It's a continuing volleying match and baton toss back and forth to see who comes out on top each week.  Which only makes each of them better.  Because that's what healthy competition does.   Pushes and encourages. 


In between events, a spontaneous moment not on the usual Wednesday evening agenda popped up.  Momma Debi and I figured and puttered with our next quilt idea.  The noise of kids giggling and horse hooves clopping with the perfect not too warm and not too cool temperature and the tiniest breeze blowing all melted together.  Providing the perfect backdrop for fabric planning.  A happening I wish could have been frozen to be replayed over and over again.


As the moon showed its face and the arena lights were turned on and the horses were still running, I was never more glad for the summer ritual of those wooden bleacher benches in between two arenas on Wednesday evenings.  

Reminding me of what's important. 

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Only you can blend horses and cupcakes and sticky snacks and quilting and summer into a beautiful montage of words and photos. Only you can help me to be a part of North Dakota summer, that I miss so much. Thank you for bringing North Dakota to me way over here in Michigan. You have no idea how much it means to me. Let alone to help me feel connected to family. Love this, Amy. Sandy