9.12.2010

I Wonder

I often wonder just how strange I look when I'm taking pictures of odd things.  I wonder because sometimes I'll look up from having one eye all scrunched shut and notice I'm being stared at.  I would just like to say to those people, "Hi, my name is Amy and I have attention issues.  Therefore, this object right here caught my eye." 

And, since my name is Amy and I have attention issues saying "one eye all scrunched shut" above made me think of a story.  A story about a gopher hunt.  A gopher hunt might be a foreign thing to some, so I'll quickly explain before the story...teams of two, very small town, starts at noon and ends at six, the team with the most dead gophers in the back of their pickup at the end wins.  Sound a bit redneck?  Well, it is.  And, one year, I participated.  A couple of years ago, one of my friends actually convinced me it would be fun to shoot gophers all day and place them in a back of a pickup once they were dead.  So, in order to get ready for said gopher hunt, I figured I should practice up on my gopher hunting skills.  I asked Momma Debi to give me a refresher lesson on how to shoot the twenty-two.  She obliged.  We were at the farm and I was trying and trying and trying and trying and trying to hit a gopher we had drawn on a paper plate.  I kept failing and failing and failing and failing and failing.  Until finally, Momma Debi suddenly exclaimed, "YOU'RE CLOSING THE WRONG EYE!!!"  It was like she had unlocked the secret to aiming.  My whole life I had been closing the wrong eye.  I think this also explains why being a doctor didn't pan out for me...I was shutting the wrong eye looking into the microscope in high school and college as well.  Once I closed the correct eye, I was like a professional twenty-two gopher hunter.  Seriously, I could actually hit the little buggers.  But, then you have to run up as fast as you can to the gopher hole and dig them out before their little siblings pull them back down.  I realize this is totally and completely disgusting.  The first time I hit one, I jumped up and down and yelled, "I got it!  I got it!  I got it!"  And, then I ran to the hole, and jumped and down again.  Only this time I was flailing my arms all around and yelling, "I can't do it!  I CAN'T!!  Ewwww!!  I just can't grab it!"  But, then I did and my life has never been the same.  And, that's all I want to say about that.  

Anyways, back to being the girl taking pictures of odd things.  Last weekend was no exception.  I can't help but wonder what the vendors thought of me as I stood there taking pictures of their ropes.  As I previously mentioned, I would have liked to have said, "Hi my name is Amy and I have attention issues.  These colors caught my eye and therefore I need to stand here and take pictures of them.  Now."    


Then, in the middle of all the hustle and bustle and a crowd of people, I aimed my camera high in the sky because I think the American flag is as iconic to a rodeo as the Smurfs were to the 80s. 


Next, I became rather bored waiting for the boys to get on their saddle bronc horses.  I just don't understand why it would take them so long.  I mean it's not like they are getting on a wild bucking animal or anything.  So, I was bored and I decided this steer needed it's picture taken.  Now.  


Next, while I was waiting so patiently for it to be Sister Pister's turn to do the goat tying event, I actually spent time with my face pointed at this wood post.   "What did you do this weekend?"  "Oh, you know, just spent some time with my face pointed at a wood post, how about you?" 


Then, this little yellow patch of flowers caught my eye and the fun flags behind were just a bonus. 


And then, I swung around and saw Sister Pister sitting in a strange position on her horse.  Turns out I'm not the only odd one in the family.  I guess she was practicing for goat tying on her foot.  At least that what's she said. 


And, finally, who takes a picture of a book on their own lap while at a rodeo?   I do. 

I do because, "Hi my name is Amy and I have attention issues.  The sun reflecting off the book in my lap caught my eye and I had to take a picture of it.  Now." 


I'm sorry if now you think I am a gopher hunting redneck who has attention issues.  Only one part of that is true.  I'll let you figure it out. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a good thing everybody's mind doesn't work like yours, but it is a good thing some do.

Ann said...

Sister's horse looks beautiful in that picture.

Amy said...

Gopher hunting friend,

I totally forgot about the almost shooting my foot off incident! How could I ever forget! :) Uffda. That was definitely an uffda moment.

Kathy F. said...

Your gopher hunting story reminded me of stories my mom used to tell us. When she was a young girl, they would get paid for every gopher tail they brought in to some county office. Guess they didn't need the whole gopher, just proof that they were getting rid of the little pests.

Amy said...

Kathy,

Your mom was always so full of fun stories...I loved when I got to go with Kimberly and you guys to her house. :)