5.23.2011

A Goal

Goals.  I believe in them.  Having them.  Getting them done.  I tend to be the kind of person who sets mini goals all week long.  These help me stay on top of my game in all aspects of my life.  Sometimes my mini goals are as silly as "by Wednesday I will have new chicken wing artwork hung up in the hallway."  But still, that's technically a goal.  An item that can be crossed off the list with a colored sharpie.

Big goals are vital though.  I feel passionate in that regard.  We need a substantial something something to work towards.  A big something.  A goal that takes months or maybe even years to complete.  Because when one of those goals gets accomplished, it requires more celebration than just the simple sharpie cross off.  

And really, I have found that having someone to share goals with is a motivator.  That other person can push you when you forget how to push yourself.  Accountability is necessary for us humans.  Well it might be necessary for animals too.  I can't say for sure though, but I know we all need a gentle nudging every now and then.   

My friend Karen drug me into grad school kicking and screaming three years ago.  I did not want to start that at all.  But she pushed and I eventually caved.  And last May, we graduated.  The sharpie was brought out and we celebrated.  Then, just when her husband and kids thought they would have her home more, I drug her into our next goal. 


Late last fall, I mentioned to her that maybe we should think about running the half marathon in Fargo in May.  Well, if you know both of us, you know that once something gets in our heads...even just a little bit, it's probably considered done.  We decided that yes, we would run the half in May so we hit the streets outside all winter long.  Frostbite cheeks, white eyelashes and hair, frozen lungs, and freezing feet became a daily part of our lives.  And then in February, we started our actual training with the help of a neurologically based chiropractor, who happens to be just a little bit better than fabulous.  He ran a full marathon and he jumped on board with getting our butts in shape for the half.  I dare say he enjoyed his time with us because the two of us tend to run on the extreme side of ridiculousness.


As the time came closer and closer to May and the runs kept getting longer and longer, both of us were feeling like we were one step nearer to saying check to another big goal, feeling confident like the plan was falling into place.  Then, I hurt that muscle in my butt.  Which put things up in the air for me.  

Here's where that most amazing chiropractor ever came into play.  He worked with me seven times in two weeks trying to get my rear in gear and he came up with a new game plan for my training.  When I came hobbling in that Monday after it happened, feeling like a wreck, I saw the look in his eyes and recognized the same "oh no" I saw in my own.  Knowing he cared about me getting across the finish line as much as I did made me feel like it was something I could actually do.   He worried about me more than I worried about myself, telling me after the one week mark, "Amy I thought about you trying that five mile run the whole time I was mowing my lawn.  I just kept thinking please let her be able to do this."  That's when I told him, "I've come to peace with this butt.  It hurt that whole five miles and it's going to hurt the whole half, but I can do this.  I really can."   

So when I walked into his office today wearing a crazy 80s outfit for our track and field day at school, and saw his fist pump and a big smile on his face, it was the final celebration of crossing that finish line.


Believe me, there has been plenty of celebration.  Karen finished how she wanted, which I'm so proud and happy for, and I had to accept that new goal of simply just finishing.  Even though I was not able to run at the pace I orginally had planned and even though it was not as fun of a run as it could have been, I still felt like celebrating.  Celebrating not having to walk any of the 13.1 miles and celebrating doing something that one year ago, I never would have in a million minutes imagined I could have.    

Yesterday, on the way home, I told Karen that it's her turn again.  Her turn to come up with our next big goal.  And without missing a beat she replied, "Extreme couponing.  We are going to become extreme couponers.  You know, like that weird show." 


I sure hope you have a friend in your life like Karen.  One that makes you laugh so hard your stomach hurts and pushes you to go for it.  I'm pretty sure we aren't going to become extreme couponers, but I know without a doubt that we will do something.  Some big goal.  I think one week off is alright first though.   

4 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

LOVE IT!
*Love the matching outfits
*Love the goal-reaching
*Love how great you 2 look
*Love the Chiropractor-even though I don't him
*Love the celebrating.

Can't wait to hear what the next big thing is!

Hugs-B

Lisa K. said...

Woohoo!!! So glad you made it! I was thinking about you this weekend, hoping you were able to meet the goal! Yay!!

Kathy said...

WOOHOO!! I thought about you all weekend. Reading how you made your goals, were determined and worked so hard to achieve them has provided more inspirations than you will ever know. You are awesome!!! Thanks

Again said...

You did it!!! Yay!! Congratulations on your big run, proud of you girlie!!
~Elaine