8.03.2011

Looking and Feeling Fine

Here's what I know this Wednesday afternoon.  

I am not a teenager anymore.  

This morning, Momma Debi came into the bunk room of the camper and tapped first my leg on the bottom bunk and then Sister Pister's leg on the top bunk while saying, "Time to get up."  I groaned and replied with, "I've been trying to move for a solid eleven minutes already.  It's just not working out."
 
I was so sore from the lake activities of the past few days I could not move from lying down to upright.  It was a painful process.  I like to think of myself as being rather in shape.  I mean, I did finish a half marathon in May and I run at least five times a week.  But, I tell you what.  This morning I felt like my body had never been used for anything besides sitting on a chair.  Because all of that tubing and rope pulling and getting thrown off the end of the dock-ing paid a toll on my muscles.

No, I am not a teenager anymore.  Sister Pister is not sore today.  The difference being that she is a teenager.

After finally groaning and inching myself into a sitting position, I started to slip on a hoodie when I noticed myself in the mirror across from my bunk.  I laughed and yelled to my parents, "Try not to be jealous of this hair!"  They both took one look and laughed.out.loud.  Knee slapping laughed because when I go to bed with damp hair...watch out.  Natural curl attack.  For all of you ladies out there that ever had these words cross your lips, "I wish I had curly hair."  Please.  Think again.  Let this be your evidence it's not all it's cracked up to be. 


It was entirely worth it though.  The poking fun of my crazy hair, the looking like a fool, the sore muscles.  Worth it.  I love days when I feel and act like a kid.  Days when I don't think about anything other than fun.  And my last few have been just that.  Sleeping in your parents camper tends to take away worries and spending whole days on the water has a way of lifting spirits to the highest.  

And now comes the down after a mini lake vacation.  The unpacking and the cleaning and the sunburn healing and the figuring out how to make your muscles work-ing.  

I'm really banking on that tomorrow morning, I will only need seven minutes to pry myself inch by inch out of bed.

I'm also hoping I never get too old to laugh at myself and act like a kid.  

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Awesome, Amy. I literally laughed out loud. You have so much hair. Very cool. Thanks for sharing fun in the summer time. You are NOT old...you are just NOT a teenager anymore. You are in great shape. You go girl.