8.15.2011

Gray, Yellow, and Throw Pillows

The fabric store saw me two times last week.  Once with my friend Brittany to help her pick out fabric to spruce up her classroom.  She went with gray and yellow which I quickly decided just might be my new favorite color combination.  I'm copying you Brittany.  I feel we have the kind of friendship that allows me to imitate your taste.  Right?   

Naturally, when I went the second time with Momma Debi and Sister Pister, I brought along the camera.  

Gray and yellow.  The latest to make my heart happy.  


Fabric stores are right up there with office supply stores in my book.  There's something about the way the colors are arranged in a gradient fashion.  So very organized.  Plus, all of the patterns and textures make for some serious eye candy.  I could spend hours perusing.  


Which is what usually happens when Momma Debi and I are together fabric shopping.  The time we spend and the amount of pinging around can get ridiculous.  Sister Pister does not quite share the same enthusiasm for the fabric.


Momma Debi and I though?  Total fabric nerds.  It's an absolute fist pump, donkey kick, twirl, and foot stomp situation.   

 
We were on two missions.  First, to find the perfect combination for the latest quilting project.  Second, to score fabric for my living room throw pillow make-over.  It's time for new outfits for all of my pillows.  Did you know that you really don't need to buy throw pillows more than one time?  As long as the first time you buy ones that have forms inside, not stuffing, they can be easily recovered and voila!  New pillows.

You have to use your imagination now because I haven't actually sewed the pillows yet.  And I'm leaving my two orange numbers from the couch alone, so there will be a little pop of orange along with these five.   


In the process of picking out that mash of "vintage meets modern meets a little slice of crazy Amy style" I realized that Sister Pister is secretly hiding her love for the fabric.  Because out of no where, she busted out some serious design chops.  I wouldn't have even thrown a look to the metallic purple or the blue floral, but she nonchalantly grabbed them and said, "Here.  You need these.  Duh."  

And I had to say back, "Oh oh oh oh!!  You are right!!"   

So, Sister Pister, once again you showed that maybe, just maybe we do have a few things in common.  


A trip to the fabric store on a rainy Friday afternoon to spend some quality time with my mom, my sister, and my new favorite color combination...a heart happy thing for sure.  

And being there undoubtedly brings out the dorky me.  Not that it takes much.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Amy, amy, amy...lovely. I share your love of office supplies and office supply stores. My kids even say I get a certain look and excitement when I walk into Office Max, etc. Now fabric is another story. I love the colors and the textures, but I have no idea what to do with them. I am totally inadequate in the sewing dept. Although I would love to quilt and pillow, etc. Anyway, fun spending time with you and Em and your mom among the beautiful fabric. Quilt on!

Brittany Miller said...

Would love to share gray and yellow with you, friend!