4.11.2011

Cupcake Day

One of those days.  It's been one of those days.  Usually when that phrase is uttered, the next words to stumble out explain the makings of a not-so-hot chain of events.  But today, when I express that it has been one of those days, I am more referring to a kind of day that makes me just feel thankful and blessed.  It all started this morning because for once, I slept for more than my usual four to five hours.  It seems my being needed that six full hours of head against pillow time.  When I was walking out of my door this morning, right after I had poured the last of the coffee into my aqua colored cup, I heard birds chirping.  And then I did what any normal human being does at that moment...I ran back in and put this as my fb status...

To today, Monday: I do believe you are going to be a pretty fantastic day. Birds are chirping outside my window, there's a promise of sixty degree sun, my white shirt is ironed, the weekend was full of friends and family, and the patio furniture is out. I mean really Monday, what more could you ask for?

See, totally a normal human being moment. 

Then, as I was driving to work with music playing, fresh mascara on, the big ball of orange sun rising to my right...the feeling of contentment didn't shake out.  Even though the white shirt did not receive the memo that we were staying in the happy place because it quickly turned to a wrinkly mess, I didn't care.       

All day I found myself wondering just how I could learn to stay in that blessed and full state.  It's hard.  There is always a million and one things going on every day for us all and the to-do list never seems to get shorter for anyone and jobs are stressful and people want things and we want things, but today it didn't matter to me.  I don't know why.  There was no magic contentment pill I swallowed this morning nor a magic password whispered from my lips.  I still have a to-do list and there will never be enough time in a day and the bottom of my feet are dirty.  That maybe doesn't fit there, but they are really dirty.  My shoes hurt my feet today and if you have ever even thought about walking barefoot through a school, you can imagine just what kind of dirty I'm talking about.  But never the less, dirty feet and all...content.    


Even with the day now edging on completely slipping through my fingertips, I'm still feeling it.  It really did hit sixty degrees today.  With SUN.  The snow is almost gone from my yard.  It's so close, it makes me want to go out there and shovel it into the street like the cute elderly gentleman I watched a few days ago.  The chicken wings were throwing my humor right.back.at.me today and I found myself with my head tilted back laughing out loud with them.  The neighborhood kids were out in full force with their balls and hockey sticks and scooter things and it was sweet to hear that kind of carefree playing again.  I was even able to squeeze a few minutes away from the ever ticking clock right after work to sit in the sun and finish a book. 


And then as if today was actually named Cupcake WITH Sprinkles, I was able to go for dinner with my friend Britt.  She and I have not had a "talk so fast and furious and laugh so much while pinging from topic to topic" visit in a very long time.  She and her husband have had themselves two beautiful girls in the last couple years and therefore her life is what I refer to as a busy like I don't know.  So we caught up and when we walked to our vehicles -hers a mini-van and mine not- I told her, "I feel like we should hug now."  We did.  We hugged it out and then got the giggles.  I tell you what.  Crouching in a parking lot laughing hysterically like two nine year olds who just prank called "Hooked on Phonics" for the first time.  Have you ever wondered why people do the crouching thing when they laugh really hard?       

It just has been one of those days.  Now I need to go and be productive and get after some of those tasks on the list so I can take my purple Sharpie and cross them off.  But first, I will say this...Tuesday, you have some big shoes to fill.  Don't be letting me down. 

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Entries like this are why I love you and why I am so blessed to have you be a part of my family. You have captured the essence of life...at least my life ---here in these words. Times like these mark that we are fortunate to live in a state of different climates - winter, spring, summer, fall - it gives us an opportunity to have these thoughts,to feel these emotions. Thanks for being you.

Brittany Miller said...

Fist pump and starjacks for hugging in the parking lot!

Amy said...

Sandy! Your words make my Tuesday. THANK you. THANK you.

Britt...I throw up double fist pumps for hugs in the parking lot. Whoo! :)