8.09.2011

Change Up

This morning, I had a senior photo session.  It's beginning to shift to fall.  I felt it while I was climbing over barb wire fences and walking down dirt roads trying to catch the light.  I felt it.  The start of the change from summer to fall; the breeze finding its cool tint and the sun dialing its heat factor down a few notches.  The feel in the air this morning means soon it will be windows open time, with the smell of outside flooding through the house.  I love fall.  It's coming.  

After the session, I met up with some friends for lunch.  They have children.  Lots of them.  I was carrying one through the parking lot after and a group of business men came strolling behind me.  I turned to them and said, "Hey.  Now do you guys think you are having the best day ever?"  Followed with, "Do you think you all would like to take a few of these little people with you for the rest of your day?"  
The two year old I was toting looked up at me with a puzzled look.  I then realized this.   If I have kids of my own in the future, they are in for it.  Their mom will be embarrassing.  

Then, I came home to start my afternoon.  My camera has been click clicked more than once lately so I usually spend a few hours editing in the afternoon with a hot cup of coffee and a snack of some kind.  Frozen raisins.  Fresh fruit.  One never knows.  Today it was peaches.  Another clue fall is around the bend.  Peaches in boxes at The Market Basket.  

Random fact:  Did you know that the number on the side of the peach box lets you know how big the peaches are?  For example...Count 50 stamped on the side means there are 50 of those suckers jammed in the box so your peaches are going to be small sad things.  Count 36 would mean you are getting 36 plump perky things.  I did not know this until last fall when Momma Debi informed me.  She knows everything.  Now I'm the one in the store that digs and digs through the boxes and makes a mess until I find theeee lowest number.  Competition.  I live for it.  

Moving on.  This afternoon I pushed back my editing to-do list and routine for a few hours.  Because first I spent some time with little hands and feet.  


After lunch, Danae said she was going to the grocery store.  She has three children under the age of three.  Let's have a moment for that.  Really.  

Taking them all to the grocery store?  By herself?  Is she crazy?  I mean there are times I think I've managed to lose myself while tooling down the aisles. 

I told Danae that was ridiculous and to leave the baby at my house.  With me.   


Even though I might make the baby endure me holding her in one hand and my camera in the other, she still finds me entertaining.  


Baby feet move quick.  I had to be on my A game.  One handed.  Turns out this is what you get when you are holding a baby on your lap with one arm and holding the camera in your other hand while trying to look through the peep hole.  Misfire on the back button focus.  

Although, I sure do love that orange bench.


I don't have many reasons to sit on that orange bench considering it's in my foyer.  And it would be odd to simply sit there staring at the rug or the guest bathroom or the wood floor.  But feeding a baby?  That seemed like a sufficient reason to enjoy being on that bench.


Sitting there with that baby looking up at me while she guzzled down her bottle once again reminded me it's alright to leave schedules and routines behind at times.  Spending some time with little hands and feet definitely qualifies as more important than getting things done on my to-do list.  

Random fact:  Do not put a kitchen rag that you used to wash beets from the garden in your washer and then let it sit in there for two days until you have a full load of towels.  Here's why.  When you open the pocket door to your laundry room, a smell of rotten and molding dirt will knock you on your socks.  Not that this just happened to me a few minutes ago or anything.  

Changing it up.  Summer shifting to fall.  Pushing back the editing time with hot coffee and a fresh peach back a few hours.  It's all a win.  

2 comments:

Kathy Jensen said...

I got a box of 40 last night at the market basket and Lee is getting me another box in a neighboring town today that are also 40! Whoo Hoo!! They are green but give them a few days and oh the sweetness that we all will enjoy!! I might add that Lee is working today and that precious boy is always looking out for his mama's favorite things even when he is working!! Love those boys of mine!!

Amy said...

Two fist pumps and a donkey kick for 40s!! And those boys!