9.02.2014

He Had to Go Right Now and a Magic Flower

The other night I was sitting out front of my house in a green fold up lawn chair.  I was chasing the sunshine as it dipped behind my roof on the patio side.  So front driveway with green fold up lawn chair it was to still warm my bones in the evening sun while eating grilled zuchinni and onions.  It probably was supper, I'm assuming it was but I never quite know because I've been known to simply graze.  

A plate full of grilled zucchini and onions was in my hands and I was sitting alone, doing my thing enjoying the last bits of the evening.  The neighbor down the way was outside playing tennis with her little boy.  She stood on one side of the street and he stood on the other.  The number one thing I love about my neighborhood is that it's located on a square so things like tennis matches across the street are the norm around here.  

Neighbor kept looking at me.  I kept smiling back.  She kept looking.  I smiled again.  I started to think maybe she thought my choice of food was weird or something.  

All of a sudden her little boy threw down his tennis racket while yelling - and I'm talking yelling, "I GOTTA POOP!!!  I GOTTA POOP RIGHT NOW!!!"  He took off like a jet and I think he was heard for blocks.  

I laughed out loud.  That kind of stuff is like gold to me.   

Neighbor kept looking at me.  By this time I'm thinking, hey neighbor lady who is normally quite nice - I'm not sure why you keep looking at me.  I wasn't just part of the scene that involved the yelling of POOP twice.  

Then, I looked down.  

I was wearing hot pink running socks with my flip flops and blue shorts.   

A little boy who had to poop really really bad and right this second and felt the need to announce it the world made my night.  In turn, I'm kind of thinking the odd neighbor sitting in her driveway in a green fold up lawn chair eating grilled zuchinni and onions while wearing hot pink running socks with flip flops and blue shorts might have made the little boy's mom's night.  

On another note, you can totally pull a flower out of a pot in the fall, as in just give it a solid tug until you think it's all gone and all that's left is dirt.  Then, you can put the pot in your garage for the entirety of the ridiculously cold North Dakota winter.  And then, you can notice in the spring there are green sprig things growing from the dirt.  Finally, you can put the teal pot back on your patio with the notion that maybe those green sprigs will grow while you water it while the sun shines in May and June.  Finally by July, you'll have yourself a real flower on your hands again.  Magic I tell you.  Or maybe it turns out I had picked out a perennial last year for my teal pot instead of just an annual.  Magic or Horticulture 101.  You decide.  

No comments: