8.05.2012

A Mustard Colored Milk Cow

We stood in the aisle at Target.  Karen and I.  Picking out plates to hang on the wall of their new house.  Because we do that kind of thing.  Hang plates on walls.  She needs my moral support in the decorating realm.  Actually she needs me to take control and grab the plate and stick it to the wall.  Just like I need her to tell me to settle my hiney down and quit trying to plan everything. 

So we stood there grabbing orange, teal, brown, zebra striped, and other random plates while I casually mentioned, "There's this mustard colored cow over there that I love.  It kind of does it for me.  But I just don't think I can get it."

"Why?" as Karen made her way over to the said cow.

"Because really it's probably not something that's worth the money."

She found the cow.  Picked it up and brought it over to the plate section.  "Amy.  It's two dollars.  Really?  Get the cow."

"Okay fine.  Hand me the dang cow."

And so that's the story of how this mustard colored cow came into my life.


It's meant to hold creamer I'm fairly certain.  But I don't do the creamer so instead I use it for milk.  It holds exactly one cup.  A coincidence?  I think not.  This mustard colored cow was meant to be in my life.  Right up there with the best two dollars I've spent.


Makes my heart happy.  Pouring the milk out of the cow.  Here's what I've decided.  Sometimes if I take the few extra minutes to make something as ordinary as breakfast special by using a pretty bowl and setting it all up at my dining room table and pouring milk out of a mustard colored cow with a curled handle tail, it makes life just a little bit better.  Taking the time for pretty.  It's a part of me.    


And if you aren't drinking coffee out of glass, it's time you start.  A straight shot to special.   


Now let's talk about the goodness in this bowl.  I have been around kids this summer quite often.  They do things like eat Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Captain Crunch Berries in the morning.  It's the craziest thing.  And it has made me start wanting cereal.  The cool of milk with a crunch thrown in.  But I can't be eating the cereal because it's sugar in a box so I've been on the hunt to find a healthy wholesome alternative and I do believe I've hit the nail on the head. 


I found it in the organic section of our local grocery store and it only has one ingredient.  Rice.  So there you have it.  Plus it was only $2.29 for the bag.  That's cheaper than a box of cereal.  It's rare for something healthy to be less spendy than the junk so it really makes me feel like I found a real win!  I sprinkle some cinnamon and it tastes like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  Well at least in my make it healthy mind it does.  

It's also gluten free if you are into that sort of thing.  I'm not.  I'm only into if it came from the ground or had a mother for my philosophy.  I don't know if cinnamon had a mother or came from the ground.  But I think it must be one of those options.  Right?       

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I absolutely LOVE the cow. And you arounsed my curiousity about cinnamon, so I looked it up. Definitely from the ground...
Cinnamon ( /ˈsɪnəmən/ SIN-ə-mən) is a spice obtained from the inner bark of several trees from the genus Cinnamomum that is used in both sweet and savoury foods. While native only to the island of Sri Lanka, cinnamon trees are now naturalized in South East Asia.[

Amy said...

Sweet Sandy!! Thanks for unlocking the mystery. I knew I was in the clear with it. I just knew it. :)