6.08.2011

Gourmet Kitchen?

Just when you were thinking my cooking skills were at their peak with my sharing of the raisins recipe or idea or whatever that goofiness was...I've got another real doozy of an idea for you.  And just like last time, I'm going to give you a visual of the steps just in case there might be any confusion, because I know this could be a confusing title. 

Cucumber Dipped in the BEST Salsa Ever

First, here's what you need.  A sixty-nine cent cucumber from your local market.  I refer to mine as The Market Basket.  Even though that is not the name of it, that is what I call it because I like that name better.  And you need a fantastically crafted cutting board...this one was made a teacher at my school's husband.  He's southern and he makes things like this which makes me love him.  I've told her this fact so there is no need to worry.  The final ingredient is that good salsa that I shared with you earlier on my cooped up from winter, needing some color trip to The Market Basket.  It was recommended to me by Blake and I thank him every time I see him.  Still.  


After you have everything assembled, which might take all of two minutes, then you lop the ends off your cucumber and peel it.  You do not need a vegetable peeler for this.  All you need is one of those fun colored paring knives from your local gourmet chef store.  I do everything in the kitchen with this one knife.  Cheese slicer?  Don't need.  Apple corer?  Not necessary.  Peeler?  No way.  I just need that handy little knife.  There's something very satifsfying about seeing just how perfect you can make your peeling.  Well, maybe that is because I suffer from the everything must be lined up disorder.  But, humor me and try it.    


Then you slice the cucumber...make sure you try and make each slice the same size.  It really adds a little something.  And of course, make sure you clean up your mess along the way.  That's only right when working in the kitchen. 


Finally, take out a pretty plate and place the cucumber slices so they sit pretty.  Pour in some of that bang up salsa and voila...a perfect snack!  The cucumber slices are much healthier than chips but they still crunch, throw in the kick from the salsa and it's a big bag of win. 


I bet you are thinking, when is she going to write a cookbook?  Frozen raisins...cucumbers and salsa...what could be next? 

10 comments:

matt n karisa said...

You make me smile. :)

Amy said...

Whoo! That's better than the alternative. :)

Kathy Jensen said...

Oh my gosh!! Love the cutting board!! What a craftsman!! Love it, just love it!!

Oh Amy, good recipe too!!

Sandy said...

Yum, and such a pretty presentation! I love cukes and I love salsa and I love artistic cutting boards and versatile knives, so this whole blog works well for me. Thanks, Amy

Gemma said...

I often crave salsa.. this is sometimes a problem because before this blog I thought salsa's only friends were chips and scrambled eggs (when I want to be healthy). I'm sooooo trying this! ..actually can't wait to go buy a cucumber now! lol.

Amy said...

Kathy, doesn't that cutting board just make you want to have a reason to cut?! I freaked right out when I saw it! Let me know if you want the contact info for the man who makes them...super affordable and fun all rolled into one.

And yes all of you...go out and buy yourself a cucumber...NOW. :)

matt n karisa said...

The other night, Mattaya asked me, "Mama, are you a chef?" (This was after I had handed her something like a plate of leftovers or nutella on a graham cracker or something amazingly simple.) And I thought to myself, "In Amy's book I probably am!"; so I turned to Mattaya and said, "Sure I am." :)

matt n karisa said...

The other night, Mattaya asked me, "Mama, are you a chef?" (This was after I had handed her something like a plate of leftovers or nutella on a graham cracker or something amazingly simple.) And I thought to myself, "In Amy's book I probably am!"; so I turned to Mattaya and said, "Sure I am." :)

Amy said...

Love it Karisa! You rock that chef status!

matt n karisa said...

I try. ;)