8.01.2012

Not My Turn...Yet

"Okay...now if I come out there to take some pictures and ride with you, am I going to put to work for the rest of day and night?" 

This was a necessary question to ask before I headed out to a field of winter wheat my family was harvesting.  A person can be put to work very quickly when entering such a situation.  Very quickly.  Especially if a person comes quipped with years of experience. 

So I treaded lightly on Saturday afternoon. 

"You should be fine to come and ride with me in the combine.  All jobs are covered." 

"I'm trusting you Momma Debi.  I'm trusting you." 

This was also a necessary statement to make as I wanted that mom of mine to be in the full know my plans were to simply be a visitor.  A watcher of the action.  The coming and going of the semis and trucks.  The dumping of the grain into the cart and then right back out of the cart.  The quick talking of the CB radios.  All with the one goal in mind.  Keep the combines from ever stopping.  I took it all in.  Without the stress of accountability in that action. 

   
It's not that I don't like to help.  Because I do.  I love to get right in there.  It's that I knew my time was coming in that tractor driving the grain cart.  I had already agreed in previous texting converstations I would run the cart for this week which means I was well aware it was soon my turn to be the one hustling to and fro.


So Saturday?  I wanted to relax and take in Saturday afternoon in the field. 

To sit next to my mom and have uninterrupted visits.  Except that's kind of not an option when operating a combine.  She had the business of a forty foot header with a whole lot of feeding grain to attend to but still...we were able to talk.  Really talk. 


We were mostly uninterrupted until Buckshot came cruising up beside us to dump on the go once the hopper was full.  Each time, I had to duck down so Momma Debi could see what she was doing and shut my mouth as not distract her.  Because there's more than a little grain coming out of that auger. 


Looking down at Buckshot in that tractor only inches away from the header, I knew my turn was coming. 


I tossed that thought to the side and instead was a fan of being able to cross my legs without worrying about the clutch or the brake and gave some love to the shiny objects. 


My few hours in the afternoon on Saturday of being a visitor to the harvesting of the winter wheat was a nice easy break in.  Because on Monday morning, I was in the driver seat of the grain cart tractor.  A full participant in the chaos.  Including taking pictures while driving.  Shhhh...don't tell.

More to come on this harvest season.  It's right up there with some of my favorite times so believe me I have been snapping away.  But we were rained out this afternoon and I can't be using my unexpected free time to do any more sitting.  Off to clean and organize my closet I go.  With all new coral colored hangers to use!  It's the little things people.  It really is.     

1 comment:

Kathy J said...

Harvest is also my favorite time of the year!! Being my dad's right hand man played a big part in that as I was his trucker. Loved it!!