5.19.2011

Nervous Nelly

About an hour ago, I was driving down my street, just about to round the bend toward my driveway when I saw one of my neighbors mowing his lawn.  With a towel tucked in his back pocket.  A white towel.  Like what one might see an athlete wipe his brow with at the big game.  Neighbor takes his lawn mowing that serious.  And seeing him tonight with the towel tucked in the back of his Lee jeans made me laugh.  

Which was just what I needed.  

I was driving home from finishing up errands so we can leave tomorrow for the big race.  Although I don't really feel comfortable calling it a race as there will be no speed running coming from this butt.  So I think instead, I'll just call it a big run.  

On Saturday morning, real bright and early, a half marathon will be waiting for my tennies.  Which right now makes me want to say uffda.  And then maybe uffda again.  Because here's the deal.  It's going to hurt.  My butt is not all the way better and running 13.1 miles on it just might be not the best idea I've ever had.  But I figure I will at least give it my best.  Knowing and doing that will have to be good enough.  

So when you are drinking your coffee on Saturday morning, if you wouldn't mind sending up a little prayer or a couple fist pumps or even a donkey kick or maybe a twirl and footstomp for me that would mean more to me than dry socks on a rainy day.  Because right now, I'm nervous.  

 
The kind of nervous that makes me flitter around wearing a flowered headband, attempting to pack my bags, while starting the dishwasher, being in the middle of a load of laundry, trying to string together complete thoughts talking on the phone, taking way too many trips back and forth back and forth across my living room because I can't seem to remember what I went to get.  That kind of nervous.  And all of that with an ice pack strapped to my butt.  

Maybe I should also have a white towel tucked in my pants.  Who knows?  At this point I think I'd try anything.

I'm letting my nerdy nervous self show right now and I know that most people who are running this weekend will be all cool and collected.  I wish I was like that.  But I'm not.

Nope, I'm really more just the girl who is hoping to finish.  
     

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will do great Amy! We will be praying, fist pumping & donkey kicking all morning for you on Saturday! Good luck & we will be here to give you butt rubs when you get back :) Love ya!
Summer, Travis, Isabel, Gus & George

Danae said...

You will be awesome Amy because you are just the kind of person that gets stuff done!! (Do you like how I kept that PG for you?) I will promise prayers and fist pumps on Saturday morning. I think I will leave the donkey kicks to those that are not 8 months, 3 weeks, and four days pregnant!! Good luck and you will rock!!! You have come so far from our first run down the gravel road! You inspire me!
Danae

Brittany Miller said...

Good luck friend! So proud of you! I don't understand your nervousness, but I don't really ever get nervous. On Saturday morning I will be sending my un-nervousness your way! Of course you will finish- Just make sure you do it with STYLE!
Hugs!

Danica said...

I predict fun times and an easy completion! Enjoy! And BRAVO!!!

Kathy Jensen said...

Prayers will be sent upward for you as you run. Be careful, listen to your body when it tells you when it has had enough and most important of all, enjoy each and every inch of the run for you have come so far in the last year! Good luck!

Again said...

Good luck Amy! You are going to do great!!
~Elaine

Sandy said...

Amy, I am so proud of you. I hope it doesn't hurt so bad. And even if you have to walk part of it because of a bum butt, that is ok. You are awesome. Many people will be thinking, praying, pulling, and jumping for you. You go, girl!

Elaine said...

You can do it!! and I will send up some prayers for you.