1.06.2014

The Reality of Editing

When I was on my return flight from Thanksgiving, I was told by the lady at the counter that the pilot was missing and we were delayed until 11:30 in the morning which happened to be five hours later than scheduled.  Followed by a you better not leave because if he shows up, we will take off immediately.  Followed by a mildly teary eyed call to Momma Debi telling her she and my dad could drive away, back to the house where the rest of my family were rising and eating breakfast.  

I walked through the outdoor portion of the airport and sat at my gate, reading.  Determined to make the extra wait something of worthy status.  Not a whine fest.  

Once the sun rose, I moved to the outside bench to continue reading.

 
The cactuses and flowers were pretty, the sun was out, the sky was clear, it was the end of November and I was out in just a light sweater.  Making good.

 
And here's where I share something I believe in, a nugget of truth.  The eye edits for beauty.  I heard this somewhere along my journey because I have it as a note in my phone and I think of it often.  

The reality of the situation was this...I was in an airport walk through.  Where pets had a place to do their business and planes were behind tall fences and there was a missing pilot who caused us all to wait an extra five hours.  Where I was secretly hoping he'd come running in with a wrinkled shirt and a bedraggled hairstyle.  Because being a disorganized normal person who missed their calendar reminder of flight would be entirely too boring.   

 
The eye edits for beauty.  

I've been thinking a lot about the struggles of loved ones and about perspective and in general, people going through the trenches.  Why seasons of life are tougher for some than others and thinking about how things ebb and flow. 

 
There's always a smudge of beauty.  Always.  Because we edit for it, we can make the choice of what to crop in and out.

Today as I sit in my house on this ridiculously cold cancelled school Monday, I am doing some editing of my own.  The sun shining in towards the wood floor and the fire fake crackling next to me is where I'm at so far.  I'll keep puttering around and embracing the afternoon inside my home because... 

The eye edits for beauty.  

No comments: