9.02.2011

Fifty One Degrees & Naming Candles

This morning, as I was enjoying my first cup of coffee, the temperature ticker on the bottom corner of the screen of the local morning news show said fifty one degrees.  

It's officially September.  It's officially the start of fall.  And call me crazy but on the morning of September first, I just felt it.  The air when I walked out to grab the mail even held a different aroma.  It was the smell of pumpkin spice.  I swear.  Or maybe it was the smell of apple harvest.  Or cinnamon scone.   

If this whole education career doesn't pan out for me, naming candles is next on the list.  One could be called Burning Ditches and another one could be Manure Madness.  Although, those are the smells of fall that no one would probably want recreated and burning on their stove while they cook.  Now that my wheels are turning though, there could be an entire candle line referred to as "Fall on the Farm."  There could be a cute tractor label with a hot farmer in bibs with no shirt on...

...once again side tracked.   

Anyways, I have a full four days under my belt of this new performance strategist job and it feels right so the naming candles will have to wait.  It is comforting to have a back-up plan in place though.      

Here's when I must admit it feels quite alright to be back into a work routine and I'm almost ready to say goodbye to summer.  Goodbye to summer and hello to fall which happens to be my favorite season.  Although, it's a bittersweet switch for me.  Because it's never easy to leave behind the joys of summer but I can't help but welcome the pumpkin spice-ness of fall.  

Goodbye bubbles at the campground.  Hello to painting my finger nails a dark color.   


Goodbye to homemade granola, yogurt, blueberries, and coffee on a picnic table.  Hello to pumpkin stacks in my front yard. 


Goodbye to seeing Sister Pister rock her Sperry's barefoot in the green grass.  Hello to wearing dangly earrings while wearing a scarf with a cup of hot coffee cupped in both hands.  


Goodbye to days at the lake with sparkly water and the hot sun.  Hello to wrapping up in a blanket at a high school football game on a Friday night.   


It's time to peace out summer and welcome in fall.  Goodbye not working and doing whatever I darn well want all day.  Hello to breaking out the theme outfits for holidays at my new schools.  If they think I'm normal now, that will change.  Soon.  Halloween is right around the corner.  Right around the corner.  My pumpkin headband is ready!     

2 comments:

Momma Debi said...

I think you may have heard those smell names in your childhood. Sully and I used to come up with them at the NH3 plant in the fall. He was going to start a perfume line. You are close, it was "Mufflings of Manure", "Ode to Anhydrous", and "Essence of Burning Road Ditch".

Amy said...

So I didn't remember that until now, but I do now! Yes, you two were always hilarious during those hauling anhydrous days. It's crazy the things that come creeping up from childhood!