11.11.2010

A Lesson

I knew it would happen sometime; a kid would not think I was fun and would not want to hang out with me for a couple of hours.  You see, usually I can get the kids first and then their parents loosen up after that; I think it's the teacher in me.  But, little Zoe wanted nothing to do with me or my camera. 


Nothing at all.  I tried all of my usual tricks and wondered if I had a scary face on and nothing.  I got nothing.  Then, her amazing parents showed their love for their little girl and worked their magic.  They stayed calm and just played.  Played and ate cookies and slowly Zoe decided that maybe this picture thing would be alright. 


As I was lying there snapping pictures and observing their togetherness, it dawned on me that there was a purpose to Zoe not warming up right away.  That purpose being a lesson in patience.  It was awesome to watch the Mom and Dad just hang out with their daughter and their strong love for her was so apparent.  She's their world.  And, they realize this and have the patience to lead by example.  The example of calm, caring, patient love. 


A lesson I need to witness every once in awhile.  So, I thank little Zoe for not thinking I was fun right away and I thank Ben and Tara for showing me that love is patience. 


Zoe, you are your parents' hearts.  That's plain to see.

 
And, so what could have turned into a disastrous, not fun for anyone involved evening, instead turned into a beautiful display of a family's love for one another.  Thank you Ben, Tara, and Zoe! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy your stories are amazing! I don't know this family but so want to - what an example!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story about my brother, sister-in-law, and my niece!
They are a wonderful family and their love know no bounds!

Anonymous said...

This was so fun to read. I am one of many aunties to this family. How precious! Thank you for the beautiful comments and photos especially since I don't get to see them very often.