12.24.2010

Good

Somewhere in my parents' basement, there lives a video of me on Christmas Eve circa 1988.  I have white blonde hair and a mischievious twinkle in my bright five-year-old blue eyes.  We were at my grandma and grandpa's house because that's what we always did on Christmas Eve.  And, I had just opened a present.  I looked up at my mom, squeezed my hands together tightly, and yelled with the utmost excitement, "I KNEW I WAS GOOD!!" 

All that for a hot pink boom box that played not one, but two cassette tapes.  

Earlier today, standing in my parents' kitchen, I witnessed my mom grab her grandkids in a tight embrace and whisper in their ears, "I'm so glad I'm here."  She didn't know I was watching, but I was and her excitement couldn't help remind me of that same "I KNEW I WAS GOOD!!" feeling.  This time, it's not over a hot pink boom box that plays not one, but two cassette tapes.  No, this time it's about being given the greatest gift of all.  A healthy mom.  

I'm hoping you are snuggled in somewhere with your families and that you can find a reason to feel that thankful excitement.  Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!      

3 comments:

Kathy J said...

You too Amy! You too!

Anonymous said...

Amy, that was beautiful! I am so happy to read that your mom is healthy. My mom and I were hoping and praying to hear that news. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas and may all your Christmas's be as happy as that little pink box!

Nicolle Zembo Glover

Amy said...

Thanks Nicolle! I hope your Christmas was merry and bright! :)