11.01.2010

Wacey, A Mini Van, and Pixie Dust

Accomplishing these senior pictures was no small feat.  We rescheduled three times because of the rainy-ness and then the day it was finally sunny, I drove out to his farm only to have a construction worker tell me I couldn't cross the highway because they had just tarred it.  Have you ever heard of such a thing?  No.  No you haven't because that is crazy.  So, then I drove all the way around like he told me to and started to drive on the wrong side of the highway {again, like the guy with the yellow vest and red beard told me to} only to have another construction guy come flying after me with the roof lights flashing on his blue pickup.  I got out and told him, with my hands flailing all over the place, before he could get a word in edgewise...

"That guy with the red beard up there told me I had to do this because he wouldn't let me cross the highway because he said it was freshly tarred and all I'm trying to do is take this kid's senior pictures and I need to get to his farm and we've rescheduled three times and now I'm going to be late and...and...and...the guy in the red beard told me to."  Then, the construction guy with not a red beard and a yellow vest said, "Well, who is cuter, me or him?" 

Say what now? 

In my head, I was thinking: I.do.not.have.time.for.this.hoopla.right.now.  But, here's what came out because I knew my fate of getting to the kid's farm was in this construction guy with not a red beard's hands: "Oh, you are.  By far.  You're much cuter.  And, I think your cool factor is way higher too." 

I made the right choice to play along for a bit because he kept his lights flashing and let me follow him so I didn't look like a total goof driving on the wrong side of the highway.  When we got back to the gravel road I was originally trying to get to, the construction guy with the red beard was all, "What?  He's cuter than me?  No way." 

In my head, I was thinking: I.do.not.have.time.for.this.hoopla.right.now.  And, here's what came out because I knew I was where I needed to be: "Yes.  Yes he is." 

Then, I drove off and finally made it to Wacey's farm.  Now, I probably should have mentioned at the very beginning of this tale, that I was driving a mini van. 

You heard me.  I was driving a rental mini van for this whole debacle.  A rental mini van that had cat hair on the seats and an old lip gloss kiss on the pull down visor mirror.  It couldn't have been more perfect for the way the evening started off. 

And, get this.  Once we started taking pictures, the beautiful sun that had been shining went away and it started to rain.  So, we rescheduled once again.  I told Wacey that the next time I would not be driving a mini van because he was seriously worried about my cool factor when I pulled up in that mini van...he was very relieved when I told him it was rental.  Also, when I went out to his farm the next time, I was able to just cross the highway without any construction worker shenanigans and the sun stayed out and Wacey thought I was still half cracked and his mom was fun and his pictures were taken.


Did you know that a teenage boy's whole demeanor changes when he is by his pickup?  If you didn't know that...well, now you do. 


Did you also know that when you tell a teenage boy that you are going to tap him on the head with your imaginary princess wand while you are saying, "All you need is pixie dust and trust" to him that he will laugh at you.  He will laugh no matter how much he thinks you are a total weirdo.  A weirdo that does star-jacks and says things like, "All you need is pixie dust and trust." 


So, Wacey's pictures were not boring.  The events leading up to Wacey's pictures were also not boring.  Let's just get that straight.  Wacey is also not boring.  And, he loves his pickups.  He loves them more than he loves a good star-jack.  In case you don't remember, a star-jack is like a jumping-jack only better. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, it is very early in the morning and you have me laughing until the tears are rolling!

Momma Debi said...

It is amazing to me how it seems like yesterday he was a little kid at 4-H Achievement days, now an all grown up senior.

Anonymous said...

We love 1, 4, 6, 8 and all of them with his truck. What is it with boys and thier trucks?!?!?!?!!? Makes me make some future planning for my boys!

Denise said...

Reading the blog reminded me of our journey to get the senior pictures done. We did it - It must have been the pixie dust!