11.30.2010

This One Time

So there was this one time three years ago when I was twenty-four years old, the season was spring, and we were working cattle.  I happened to be standing next to Dad-o when the adjusting of the chute was happening to allow for big mama cows instead of the wee little calves.  Now, if you know my dad, you are aware he likes to get things done yesterday.  So, when he hollered, "Raise your arm Amy.  Raise your arm!"  I listened.  I listened real quick.  I threw both my arms in the air and stood there.  

Then, I wondered why in the heck I was supposed to put my hands in the air when we were adjusting the chute.  

Then, the laughter started.  

Then, I wondered what was so funny.  

Dad-o shook his head in exasperation and proclaimed real matter of factly, "Amy, the arm on the chute.  Not your arms."  Then, I'm sure he wondered how my twenty-four year old self made it through most days.

Well, what can I say?  I was just trying to be helpful and listen.  Can't blame a person for that.   

And, can I tell you that there is really nothing more hilarious than when Dad-o tries really really hard to keep a straight face and act all serious and let's get this done when you know that his shoulder shaking, red faced laugh will be happening at any second.  It will really make your day.  And, if you are anything like me, when you sense that is going to happen, you encourage it.  So, you say, "Well, at least I put deodorant on this morning."       

The arm I was supposed to raise is that red bar thing that is sticking out right next to Pic, who is sporting a lovely backpack.  She's always been real current on the trends. 

 
And, have you ever wondered what a sea of cows looks like?  Well, here you go...sea of cows. 


People in the sea of cows...


Yes, that would be Firecracker holding down the fort on good ol' Smokey. 


Did I mention that I bring Starbucks along when I go to help work cattle?  Did I also mention I maybe possibly feel the need to take pictures when others are trying to work?  It's really too bad that Dad-o was out doing fall's work in the fields because maybe we could have had another "raise your arm" moment.    



You do not want to know where that glove on the vet's arm has been.  You really don't.  I think I shall never become a vet. 


Every once in awhile, I do hand the camera over.  Only every once in awhile though.  I figure when I'm old, I will want to know I did exist.  :) 


But, probably the best part of working cattle?  Probably the best part is when you get to go in the warm toasty house and you are greeted by these faces. 


Then, it gets even better when your niece realizes you match and wants to take a picture with you because she thinks that's the best thing since sliced bread.  And, you don't even care that your hair is all a wreck and you aren't wearing makeup because you are just happy that you get to have those moments.   

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh my! Lil George is getting sooo big!