9.28.2012

Flowers, a Wide Brim Hat, and Kindergarten

Monday night, I stopped at the grocery store thinking I'd buy some groceries.  Upon arrival in the produce section, which is always where I start, I wandered aimlessly for a minute and a half.  Give or take.  Then I wheeled around and walked out.

I didn't feel like grocery shopping.

Walking out at the same time as me was a man.  An elderly gentlemen.  The kind whose wrinkles give him away but somehow his hair has remained a hint of brown; not yet all the way silver.  But the wrinkles and the eyes.  They told me.  In his hands, he was carrying one plastic bag filled with some random fruit and a box of crackers.  I bet there was cheese tucked in there somewhere.  I know how the wrinkled age group likes their cheese and crackers.  In his other hand, was tucked tightly a bouquet of flowers.

"Are those for your wife?"

"Yes, she's stuck by this old hound for forty-seven years."

Did I tell you he had those eyes with wrinkles?  The kind which turn up with mischief because they almost can't help it.

"You know what?  I didn't actually buy any groceries because I didn't feel like standing in line.  But I'm pretty sure I came here to see you."

Again the twinkle eyes with a side of wrinkles.

And that was it.  The exchange was over.


On Sunday morning after my long reading session, I went for a run.  It was a quintessential fall morning.  Crisp, sunny, and yellow leaves all working together.  When I was almost back to my neighborhood, I spotted across the street a wide brim hat coming towards me.  I noted to myself, wear wide brim hat when I'm old and kept running, wide brim hat and my paths coming closer and closer with each stride.  Closer until I spotted the gentleman next to the hat.  Holding her hand.

I waved and shouted, "Good morning!  I love your hat and you two are cute!" in between pants of breath.

And that was it.  The exchange was over.


Tuesday morning, I woke up with all kinds of ridiculous anxiety.  A ball of something is what it was.  What sort of something I have yet to determine.  It was serious though; I'm not really ever affected by a bad case of anxieties so it riled me up a bit.  Upon arrival at work, I stood by my desk and told myself, aright now it's time to get it together.  Right at that moment, the intercom came on in my room with, "Amy, can you head to kindergarten to cover for Mrs. So and So.  She's in a meeting and it's running late." 

"Sure can!"

It was time to really get it together.  Kindergartners take no prisoners.  Off with my coffee cup I went to greet the kindergartners as they walked through their classroom door.  One little boy came trotting into the room with his backpack and stopped dead in his tracks when I said, "Good morning!"  He looked right up at me with his huge brown eyes, "Ohhhh, you are so pretty."

"You little pumpkin.  Thank you so very much.  You just made my day."

He hipped and hopped right over to his cubby and put his business away.

And that was it.  The exchange was over.


Three different occasions of people out doing their thing changing someone else's day in their instant interaction.  Day changers.  They are around every freaking corner and they make my heart happy. 


On a side note, we held book club in the loft of Sweet & Flour last Friday evening.  It's a new place in town and it slapped me in the face in a very fabulous way.  A sparkly chandelier way.


It's easy to become wrapped up in the negatives happening here...still a flood disaster zone in the valley, insane oil boom, ridiculous cost of living...but there are gems popping up because of the growth.  Gems with zebra print chairs and lofts suited just right for drinking wine and talking about books.  Sweet & Flour Patisserie.  Hats off to you.  Please go there and support local.  Support non-franchised.  Support these two hardworking people.     

No comments: