9.09.2012

Yes, You'll be Blessed

Last Saturday morning, I awoke in not my house in not my town.  After a quick whoa it's still early assessment and a rub of my eyes, I made the decision to actually stand up.   Because what greeted my ears was the sounds of my friend visiting with her aunt while her babies were ruffling around doing the morning business of playing with race cars and fighting over race cars with little sisters and needing a fresh diaper and non stop chitter chatter.  A cup of coffee soon found my hand and a blanket curled up around my feet on the couch to partake in the early beginnings of the day.

So the three littles wouldn't go completely awry in their not usual setting, we scooped them up and headed outside to run and walk and get out some of those fighting over race cars issues.    

After our legs were sufficiently stretched, we came back for breakfast. 
 

And I had a moment. A moment of appreciating their peanut butter smeared faces and little fingers reaching for their food and their twinkly smiles from already having time in the fresh air. 


Sure it's a messy affair, this breakfast with three kids thing, but my goodness it is the stuff of greatness at the same time.  The stuff which deserves appreciation for the beauty of childhood.  Even when it's covered in peanut butter and sticky jelly.    


On the way home road on a week ago from today, I heard an Elton John song on the radio.  It spurred me to quickly purchase his greatest hits on my phone so I could listen to his genius for a few hundred miles.  Towards the end of the album there is a song called Blessed.  The first time the lyric "but I swear you'll be blessed" came out of his mouth, somewhere near the small town of Larimore, I actually had an almost tear.  

Not a tear out of sadness either, but one of happiness and brightness for what will come in the future.  The lyrics, along with the way Elton (sure I can be on a first name basis with him) delivers them, gets me.  Because it's exactly how I feel right now in my life.  I don't know when I'll have peanut butter smeared faces of my own in the every single morning, but I know that when they are with me someday, they'll be blessed and loved so deeply because I'll be in the spot to appreciate the messiness after having all of this time of me, myself, and clean.  I've come to the place where I don't wonder if, I wonder when.  And that is a beautiful thing of acceptance for loving living in the now. 

   
Elton, you are a true genius.  This song with the name Blessed is blessed perfection.  Now all of you out there, do yourself a favor and don't simply read these words but also take the time to listen to the pretty way in which he sings it on this Sunday morning.  If I was real crafty, I'd figure out a way to play it from here for you, but Google can be your friend instead of me getting too with it.        

Hey you, you're a child in my head  
You haven't walked yet  
Your first words have yet to be said  
But I swear you'll be blessed
 
I know you're still just a dream  
Your eyes might be green  
Or the bluest that I've ever seen  
Anyway you'll be blessed
 
And you, you'll be blessed 
You'll have the best, I promise you that 
I'll pick a star from the sky, pull your name from my hat I promise you that, promise you that  
Promise you that, you'll be blessed
 
I need you before I'm too old  
To have and to hold  
To walk with you and watch you grow  
And know that you're blessed
 
And you, you'll be blessed 

You'll have the best, I promise you that 
I'll pick a star from the sky, pull your name from my hat I promise you that, promise you that
 
You, you'll be blessed You'll have the best, I promise you that 
I'll pick a star from the sky, pull your name from my hat I promise you that, promise you that  

Promise you that, you'll be blessed

When I snapped that picture of my coffee cup with the sounds of forks clanging and kids laughing, it was because of the sunlight streaming in.  I'm not sure I even read the words and now it turned out to be so much more.  I love when that happens. 

No comments: