10.18.2012

Unhooked Thought Train

Want to hear some random nuggets?  Keep on... 
 
Most mornings somewhere in my house can be spotted a cracked open book and a yellow highlighter.  Usually my glasses are tipped next to it.  Usually.  Sometimes I'm a rebel and don't wear them but I figure operation wrinkle prevention is well past due so I try to avoid squinting while reading.  When I catch a glimpse of the book with dog eared pages and yellow marks, I breathe deeply.  Because they are the signs of meaningful life living for me.  

I had one bad day.  And I'm fairly certain on the one bad day I wanted a knight on a white horse to make an appearance on my doorstep.  Like a real one.  With hooves and a tail and metal armor.  I'm mixing the two descriptions but go with it.  Of course no one showed up.  Because horses don't come to town really and knights don't exist really.  I made the ever setting yourself up for failure mistake of looking outside of yourself for soothing.  That's always failure in the making.  Be independent in your feelings.  Then if someone adds to them...it's a bonus.  Not a requirement.  
 
 
A new tradition has formed and it is drinking water out of fun coffee mugs while at work.  It's silly, but roll with me while I explain.  I figured one of the reasons I love drinking coffee in the morning so much is the part about holding the mug in my hands with the steam rising.  It's an atmosphere thing.  A feeling thing.  So one day at work, I dumped the coffee when it was past cold and rinsed the cup to fill it with water.  And wouldn't you know, the atmosphere changed while I entered data.  I've said it before but I will say it again.  It's the little things.   

One day I was shopping for a birthday card in Target.  I found one with a unicorn throwing up a rainbow but that's beside the point.  It did however, kind of make my day.  While browsing the cards, two teenagers came up to me and talked to me about joining their Bible study.  I'm not sure what this says about the sort of vibe I send out.  Do I give off I need some help in the Jesus department?  Here I thought I was a pretty peaceful person.  But regardless of why I was targeted while at Target, I applaud those forms of bravery.  And I told the two teenagers, "I'm complete with my spirituality experiences for now, but thank you for coming up to me and for sticking yourselves out there.  Keep on doing your thing." 
 
 
I have started making my own homemade bread.  Completely from scratch.  A scene with yeast bubbling in warm water and dough rising on the stove with a white embroidered dish town covering the stainless steel bowl and my hands kneading with the smell of goodness all around.  You want to talk about spirituality?  Making bread is spiritual for me.  It's almost as if it's an instinctual thing.  Knowing how the dough should feel and what it needs to get to that magic point.  It's almost as if I connect myself way back to the days of being a little standing on a chair in my grandma's kitchen.  Her instincts have transferred to me.  Spiritual.  It just is. 
 
Right now, it's cold and windy and rainy out my window.  There isn't school today and I'm cherishing every minute of this time at home.  I feel as if quality time with my walls has been more than missing in my days lately.  My plan is to knock out some reading council work and edit the ridiculous amount of pictures I have from the last month of life living and drink coffee well into the afternoon while the sound of the washer and classic country floats around.  A home day.  Yes please.   
 

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Very much like the trees and thoughts.