4.25.2013

Low Key Travel

I can cross San Antonio of the list of places I've never visited because there I went.  And what's there is a River Walk and the Alamo and food and margaritas which are bigger than my head, which turns out is precisely how I like my margaritas.


But really, I should clarify and explain that I just might have become a little old lady somewhere in these twenty-nine years of mine because what was really fun to me was to have one or two cocktails after taking in a full day of learning and then make the way back to the hotel to either sleep or visit with strangers in the lobby.  Because visiting with strangers in the lobby of a hotel is something I believe in, especially when I have my friend Karen along because that girl can make friends with a brick. 


A rather low key trip it was.  Well I guess there was the time we set out with the goal of being the worst dancers in the world at the dueling piano bar Howl at the Moon; I think the interpretive style ballet dance to the song from The Little Mermaid sealed the deal.  Neither one of us are ballerinas nor even graceful so it was something.  At one point, I looked out into the crowd with my hand raised above my head and saw iPhones recording so I'm sure it's on the YouTube. 


Oh, then there was the other time Karen and I ended up in a cab in the wrong side of town with a cab driver named Hythem from Lebanon who wouldn't actually let us out of the cab for fear the Midwest blinking red light we had on our foreheads would be a signal for trouble.  He was a good egg that Hythem, delivered us safely back to our hotel.  For more visiting with strangers of course.

 
Wait.  Also there was the time Karen ended up with food poisoning on our last night there; we ate at the top of the tower and is was stunningly beautiful.  On our walk back to the hotel, we caught the tail end of the River Walk Fiesta Parade and high fived for a rather excellent evening to cap off the trip.


Although, I'm not sure if you asked Karen now if she'd agree after she had to travel the next day on airplanes while battling FP.  As in food poisoning.    

So yeah.  A low key trip to San Antonio, Karen and Amy style.    

No comments: