5.07.2013

Lunch Breaks and Dance Parties and Soap Boxes

As I'm sitting here, I can hear the crickets (or frogs or whatever those noisy beings in the night are) doing their chippy cheep scareep and it feels like something has been awakened.  Maybe it's the sun finally warming my bones or maybe it's the promise of the slim slide to freedom in my days or maybe it's the ushering in of green grass, maybe it's any number of those factors making the days sweeter and the evenings like confetti wrapped gifts.  Or maybe it's just this very season of life I'm in.  

What I do know for sure, without a thread of doubt, is today was a good day.  One of those good ones which will be pulled from later to remind me of what it feels like to be happy.  Because I believe we need those reservoirs of good ones to sustain us through the inevitable ebb and flow of the tough which mixes in.

There was a curriculum training for work today; Karen and I were to attend both the morning and the afternoon sessions, which gave us this strange thing in the middle of our day called a lunch break.  I knew the idea of going out to eat wasn't nearly as thrilling as the possibility of sitting in the sun eating wholesome eats.  So I called Karen last night and told her, "I'm chopping us salad fixins' as we speak.  We are eating here tomorrow, on my patio."  She jumped right at it, "Do you have balsamic?"  

Yes.  I have that.  


Today mid-day, we kicked of our shoes, settled in the sun, and enjoyed our salads followed by dessert, strawberries with balsamic and walnuts.  If only I would have had some real whipping cream to dollop on top.  

Today mid-day, we let the breeze blow ever so slightly on our faces and we enjoyed a break.  A real honest to goodness break.  


After my work day was done, I met Danae and her two girls at Emma's dance lesson.  What started as a quick snap after class quickly turned into a dance party between sisters.  


With breathtaking moments of love and beauty stitched in with every twirl and hop.

  
I have said before and I still will say, the most precious of pictures are not the ones with perfectly planned outfits and hair all done up.  No.  The most precious of pictures are ones which catch a moment.  A hug between sisters with noses crinkled.  


Emma and Autumn were gracious enough to let me join in their dance party.  Love a duck, I believe in dance parties with giggling littles.  Be still my heart.   


Okay, we're done now.  Let's go eat.  Wait, one more jump.  


Okay, really we're done now.  Let's go eat.  Wait, one more dosey doe.  

 
Heart happy. 


Danae, thank you for letting me dance with your girls on the sidewalk on a Wednesday early evening in May.  Thank you for sharing them with me.  


We did finally go eat.  After hearing on the phone earlier where the vote for where to go to dinner was, I ran home quick and popped some kernels for Danae and I to enjoy while the girls ate the real deal in the green and white checked baskets.  I believe in carrying my own bag of popcorn into a restaurant.    


After a soul fueling and filling visit with Danae, I came home to finish up work for tomorrow.  Although, it's hard for it to feel like work when you are sitting outside and it's something you feel a strong passion for. 


Really, it's a stand on my soap box style of passion.  Authentic and modeled writing with kids.  I did my thesis on the topic a few years ago and am now looking into the nonfiction side of it...with fist pumping and donkey kicking of course.


A very good day indeed. 

And now here I sit, with the crickets (or frogs or whatever those noisy beings in the night are) doing their chippy cheep scareep and it feels like something has been awakened.  Maybe it's the promise of the slim slide to freedom in my days or maybe it's the ushering in of green grass...

Or maybe it's this very season of life I'm in. 

Do you like Pina Colada?  In the setting sun...

No comments: