5.15.2013

More About This One

It's called Buttermilk pie and it's a little bit better than fabulous.  I don't know where I first saw it or why I thought, "Hey!  I know!" on Saturday morning with my cup of coffee and menu planning, but thought I did.  A quick search landed me on Emeril's recipe.  I figured Emeril is fairly credible in the cooking realm, so I went for it.


Very easy to make and it's reminiscent of Crème Brulee which is a total win. 

But it takes much longer than 25 minutes to bake.  I'm not sure who planned that ridiculousness but it is not freaking true.  No way is that thing set up in that amount of time, more like double or nothing baby.  It was past midnight by the time it came out of the oven and I had a nasty oven rack burn on my hand and was fall over tired.  And really, it could have probably baked even a scooch more.  But at that point, it was time for it to be over. 

Here's the only other bit of advice when it comes to Buttermilk Pie, do not let the filling sit in the crust while the apple pie finishes baking.  It was a bit crystal-ish around the edges and my deductive reasoning tells me the sit time was the cause.  So, whip it together and pour it in and bake it up right away.

Also, I just looked at the reviews for the recipe and I think doing the extra flour thing and baking it on the bottom rack would probably be a smart idea...next time.   

Either way, it's delectable.  I served it with real whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and a strawberry.  Because it was pretty that's why.


Also, might I add that saying out loud the name Buttermilk Pie to company while standing in the kitchen with a spatula in your hand will make you feel a tad southern and we all know how I feel about that.  I have no research behind saying it is from the South but it sure seems fitting.  Buttamilk Paa.  Say it with me.

No comments: