9.15.2013

I Think That's Really Cool

Yesterday morning, I woke early and packed a box of garbage bags, waters, gum, safety pins, and a little container of coconut oil.  After having smeared my own hair in coconut oil that is.  And after drinking three cups of coffee.  I smelled like an Almond Joy and I was getting ready for Run or Dye.  Sil and Sister Picked me up.  On the way to meet the rest of The Donkey Kickers we discussed the upcoming events.  I said, "I don't think we will really run, I mean let's just walk and take it in and have fun."  

They both nodded along.  

And then what happened was...the instant we were released on a countdown from ten, we started running.  Just couldn't help it I guess.  

It was a difficult, hilly course and I really hadn't prepared to run.  In other words, I drank wine the night before, didn't eat really, and then drank too much coffee so it wasn't the best run ever.  

But what was the absolute best was cheering on my little sister who is new to running.  

She was ahead of me until we got to the monster up hill towards the end.  I saw her start to walk and I caught up to her and began cheering her on.  She picked back up running and we ran together with me saying, "Just make it to that next corner."  Followed by me saying, "Okay now make it that sign."  Along with, "You can do this.  Your mind doesn't want to but your body can.  I promise."  

Towards the very end she started walking again.  I kept running.  Then, I had a conversation with myself about if I should keep going and finish or if I should run back and get her.  I'm competitive by nature so I grappled back and forth.  

Then I turned around and went to my little sister.  My heart won over my competitive.  

"You really can do this.  Let's finish this together."  

She started running again with me.  I willed her along with all parts of my being, wanting her to feel the success of finishing strong through hard.  

"You will regret walking to the finish.  You won't regret pushing through."  

"My first 5k took me 40 some minutes and it was so hard and remember how I couldn't even run a tenth of a mile."  

"You are so strong and you can do this."  

All the while my little sister was next to me replying back with, "Okay I am doing it.  I can."  

She did.  She finished running.  


It was a memory I'll keep with me forever, being her encourager and her champion.  Finishing something with her that was challenging.  And now she wants to run more and be in the 5k with Sil and I in October which makes my heart very happy because this year, it will be the three of us finishing together.  

When Sil and Sister Pister dropped me back off at home, we were laughing and discussing the morning of fun.  I stopped for a second and said, "I know this is nerdy but I'm just going to say this.  Think about four years ago.  None of us would have thought we could run for fun.  It's not something we would have done together, but now we do.  And I think that's really cool."  

They both smiled. 

No comments: