9.22.2013

It's a Lucky Lot

Farm life for kids.  If I ever forget how magnificent farm life for kids truly is, give me a little pinch to remind me.  After all, it's how I grew up.  Running free outside, playing in the dirt, making things up as you go, siblings as your friends and your enemies all at the same time, chores after school, chores before school, sunshine on your face until it disappears behind the horizon, suppers in the field, rides in tractors and then driving those very same tractors, dealing with the life cycle of animals (in other words, knowing your pig will eventually be butchered), learning to ride without training wheels on gravel roads, digging in the garden, hanging clothes on the line to dry, responsibilities mixed in with playing and fun. 

Farm life for kids.  

It's a lucky lot.  

I went out to a corn feed and bonfire at Jessie and Brandon's farm one evening for visits in the blowing breeze.  When the kids took to sliding down the dirt hill, I was pulled from talking with forever friends to capture it.

 
It was quintessential farm life for kids.   

 
And you should know, sister is fearless. 
 

She screamed not long after this.  Most at the party thought she was scared as her mom walked toward her.  I knew she was mad.  I could just tell.  She's a fellow spitfire.  When Danae came walking back up with Emma's hand tucked in hers, she mouthed to us, "She's mad at her very mean big brodder." 

 
Mad.  Because her older brother wouldn't share his sled and then told his friend not to share either.  I get that older brother business.

 
I also get the feeling of being free on the farm.  It's fleeting and I hope these kids will look back on these memories with the best of heart squeezes.   

No comments: