1.02.2010

Pieces

The holiday season is gone for another year.  It's time to get back to routine and regular life.  I'm pretty sure that means I am going to have to get up before 9:00, put the junk food down, and quit going out on the town like I'm a newly minted twenty-one year old.  Ahhh...let's just have a silent moment.  Ok, I think I can move on. 

Of course The Christmas isn't just about getting and giving gifts, but it's still enjoyable to get and to give every once in awhile.  I didn't walk away from The Christmas empty handed; I got a fabulous new camera bag, some sweet gift cards, a "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster from Sister Pister (I'm trying not to think that was a hint), etc... 

But, bar none, the most meaningful gift I received was a handmade quilt from Mom. 



I actually think even Dad-o helped some.  He's good like that; a farmer by trade, the man also is one heck of a gourmet chef and will help Mom with all of her projects...only in the winter though! 



Mom put in many hours to create this HUGE quilt.  I will treasure it forever.  The quilt...not the hours.  I feel like she was thinking about me and all of the joy I have brought her over the years.  Maybe she even thought about some of the times I haven't brought her so much joy over the years.



Either way, it's nice to know that Mom loves me enough to make me something that isn't just pieces of fabric put together...it's pieces of her and my relationship.  Most importantly, it's pieces of her.  And, what better gift could there be than that. 



I am a middle child and have all of the middle child tendencies.  Because of this, I have to share what I gave to my parents.  I picked out my favorite candid photographs that I have taken over the year of our family and made collages.  I had them printed with a metallic finish on matboard so they don't need to be framed; they are all 11x14 and I think if you click on them, you can see them larger. 

One focused on my brother, sister-in law, their two, too cute for words, kiddos, and their ranching way of life.  A couple of the pictures from working cattle were captured by my cousin, Brian.  Have to give credit where credit is due.



One focused on our family's harvest.  Harvest is my favorite season.  We all band together and do what it takes to get the job done.  I even dumped trucks in heels one evening after working a full day at my real job.



One focused on a trip that Mom, Sister Pister, and I (along with some other friends) took this summer.  We loaded up the horses, left running water, make-up, men, hairspray, and most modern conveniences behind to stay in a one room cabin in the North Dakota badlands.  It was an AMAZING time of riding horse, laughter, testing personal limits, and bonding.  We called the trip "Happy Trails" and it is going to be an annual thing. 



One focused on Sister Pister because she is still in high school and lives at home.  She doesn't have that stylin' senior picture headshot on the wall yet.  It doesn't hurt either that she is extremely beautiful and takes a great picture.  She loves her horses, maybe even more than she loves me.  It's still up in the air. 



The final one focuses on everyone, in all of our craziness, from all year long.  It makes my heart happy. 



Mom and Dad-o seem to like them; Mom's been showing them to everyone, even the UPS guy.  They don't compare to the quilt, but I hope they will provide a way to remember all the goodness that was 2009. 

2 comments:

Deb said...

Aahh. I love you!

Brittany Miller said...

You Engelhards show know how to give good gifts! The picture collages look awesome!