1.08.2010

Impact

There’s this new twist on New Year’s resolutions going around...it’s called “Word of the Year.” Basically, you pick a word that is going to be your inspiration for the upcoming year.  I’ve always been one that enjoys a twist so instead of doing resolutions for 2010, I picked my word.

SERVE

It’s the first word that popped into my head when I thought about where I wanted to focus my energy.
I want to serve others by lending a helping hand when needed.
I want to serve myself by making wise choices about my own life.

When I think of the word serve, I can not help but think of my Grandma. My family has been missing Grandma since September. I miss her everyday. For real. I had no way of knowing the true magnitude of her presence on my life until her physical presence was no longer.



Grandma was the epitome of the word serve.  She straight up would help anyone before herself. The most impactful set of memories I have involve Grandma and Mrs. Cox. Mrs. Cox was an older lady who lived in our small town when I was growing up. She had a developmentally disabled son who most were afraid of. Mrs. Cox was odd; she lived in what could be considered a shack, she was a hoarder, and her appearance was disheveled.

Mrs. Cox had no vehicle. She and her son were outcasts. They were poor. They were alone. They had no way of getting groceries and other household goods.

Grandma saw this need and grandma filled this need. Grandma took Mrs. Cox and her son to town a couple times a month. She would take them wherever they needed to go and I know she paid for many of their needs out of her own pocket. I know this because Grandma took me with many times on her trips with Mrs. Cox. I was young, probably around five or six, and I vividly remember people staring at us. It never fazed Grandma a bit. She would just say to me when I was scared of Mrs. Cox and her son, “Amy, they are people and they need our help.”

Whenever we would get back to the small town, Mrs. Cox would always invite us in because even though she had her struggles, she was not lacking in gratitude. Grandma would not bat an eye and accept the invitation into her home.

I was sitting on Grandma’s lap, scared and judgmental when Mrs. Cox would ask me questions about how old I was or what I liked to do. I would try to not answer or look down when I answered. Grandma would say, “She can’t hear you, you better say it again.”  I wonder if Grandma knew just how much she was teaching me through her actions.  I sure hope so. 



When Grandma was slipping away from us, all I could keep thinking about was her hands.  Her serving hands.



The last time Grandma held my hand, I captured the moment.  I wanted to treasure it forever. 



I sat down that night at my computer and wrote this for Grandma.



Grandma left the physical world the next day.  As I was driving home from work, this was the sunset.  I knew the beauty and fierceness of it was no coincidence.  It gave me peace to know she was home. 
 


My word of the year for 2010...
SERVE
Because of the impact of this lady.


2 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Very Touching Amy. *tear*

Anonymous said...

Ok Amy - I cried reading the last one, and again this one...beautiful, but I'm ready for a laugh :) Jessie