1.30.2010

Pinger

There's no question in my mind that I have a slight attention issue.  I jump from thing to thing quicker than a fly poops on your skin after it lands.  Now, most of the time this is somewhat of a problem.  When I introduce myself to someone, by the time they tell me their name I have already started to think about the picture that's hanging on the wall behind them or the fact that I forgot to buy deodorant when I was at the store.  I also have been known to walk away in the middle of a conversation because I forgot I was even having a conversation; my mind had already moved on to what jewelry I was going to wear the next day.  

However, there are a few times where I am actually pleased as punch that I can't stay focused on one thing.  It allows me to get a freakish amount of things accomplished at one time, it has given me a fairly decent sense of humor, and it has resulted in some photographs being taken that I cherish. 

Whenever I look at the folder of pictures after I download them from my card, I can't help but laugh.  It's like I can read my mind when I look through them.  It starts with pictures that make sense like people looking and smiling or the action of an event unfolding.  Then, all of a sudden random, odd pictures start showing up and I can tell that I was pinging. 

The thing is sometimes those "pinging" pictures tell emotions or capture a moment better than the "sensible" pictures.  For instance, this picture is of fruit pizza (you are all saying, "thank you Captain Obvious" right now but I'm ok with that).  It's not an earth shaking picture but everytime I look at it I think about last Easter and how Grandma sat and cut all of those grapes in half.  Last spring is about the time she started to go down hill and she was having a great day; we were laughing, joking, and enjoying each other's company.  She even asked me if I was Japanese that day.  I told her no.  The fruit pizza making was one of the last times I felt like Grandma was Grandma and I love this picture because it brings that right back to me.   


Now this one is definitely not a high quality picture, but it makes me laugh out loud everytime.  I snapped it when I was taking Christmas pictures of my best friend's kids.  They are two and one and were not having it.  Best friend was getting frustrated so I grabbed this stuffed pig from the floor and said, "Hey watch this, here's your Christmas card."  Of course the pig sat still and smiled and the goofiness of the moment took just enough of the edge off the kids.  It turned out best friend didn't have to use the pig card. 


This is from an awesome day of creativity; it brings me right back to drinking a fruit smoothie and painting pottery.  It's simply a heart happy picture. 


This one seriously takes the cake for being the oddest picture I've ever taken.  It's from "Happy Trails."  The horse trip to the Badlands that was an amazing time with Mom, Sister Pister, and some friends.  We didn't have modern amenities so this was breakfast on the grill.  It's not that I absolutely love french toast or bacon, it's that I absolutely love that we lived simply for a weekend. 


This is my nephew, or I should say, this is the back of my nephew's head.  He really is a little farm boy already who loves to play with anything animal or tractor.  And that ear sticking out?  I can't even handle it! 


Most pictures from Christmas are of people with their gifts or of family spending time together, but this picture reminds me that Christmas is also a time when I need to slow down, take in the moment, and remember the reason. 


Another "Happy Trails" snap.  The rustic log cabin against the Badlands; well, they go together better than vacuuming and dusting.  And that's a serious amount of togetherness. 


The Bible in this picture was at a wedding reception I shot.  Every woman who has been married in the bride's family since the 1920's has signed their new name in this Bible on their wedding day.  I found this out after I had taken the picture.  What an awesome keepsake. 


These cakes are from my niece and nephew's birthday party.  They are proof of how great of a mother my sister-in-law is.  I mean seriously...look at those bananas! 


My niece just might have some of my pinginess.  No, it's more than a just might situation; she does.  I love her for it.  This was a quiet moment in our playing and being crazy; she was so proud of that little lady bug. 


Uffff...I actually get a little ticked looking at these Yahtzee cards.  One is mine and one is my uncle's.  He thinks he is "The King" of Yahtzee (he also is "The King" of the BS); we had the same score when we both added the first time.  I was beyond excited to have tied, but he just couldn't accept it so he re-added and turned out he actually won.  Kills me! 


Dear Attention Issue,

I don't thank you for making me look like an idiot sometimes, but I do thank you for giving me a different outlook on life.  I don't thank you for the "neutral incident" at the car wash (that's a story for another day), but I do thank you for my ability to do a crazy amount of multi-tasking.  It's a hate/love relationship I have with you.  The above pictures are the love part of the relationship...enjoy them Attention Issue because tomorrow?  Well, tomorrow I just might hate you. 

Sincerely,
Pinger

1 comment:

Deb said...

Amy, I remember the fruit pizza and grapes! Grandma cut each one in half and perfectly lined them up in a circular row on the cutting board. What a day!! One of the last times I saw her beautiful blue eyes actually sparkle.