6.04.2010

Classic

I finally broke down and purchased patio furniture.  I knew there was a reason I was holding out though as I got this set on clearance.  Now it's not fancy pancy or anything, but it's chairs and a table.  That's all you need.  Also, Momma Debi and I went to the local greenhouse yesterday and every year for my birthday, she gives me my summer flowers for my yard.  It's the perfect gift.  I get to enjoy it all summer and seeings as how we live in a day and age where when we need something we go buy it, summer flowers is a perfect solution for a gift. 


Anyways, so I have my flowers planted and my patio set ready to go.  And, of course I am the type of weirdo that needs patio pillows.  Yes, they are necessary.  They add a nice punch of color and they were also on clearance.     


I realize they probably aren't very practical in the ND wind, but I guess I'm willing to chase pillows for the sake of pretty.  Besides, my neighbors already think I'm a little nutty {so far in a good way...I think...well, I hope}, so this will just give them some more entertainment. 


This summer, Momma Debi and I both decided to have some Impatients and Geraniums.  While were browsing through the greenhouse, we both said at nearly the same time as we walked by the Geraniums, "These remind me of Grandma."  The same was said for the Impatients.  Grandma was a superb gardener; like seriously probably one of the best ever.  And, she was amazing with flowers.  Geraniums and Impatients were some of her specialities. 


Except Grandma never bought flowers.  She would take a little cutting here and there and pretty soon she would have more flowers than most of us would know what to do with.  It was like magic and I don't really understand where they all came from.  I don't know how to do those things, but I can grow them once I have them.  Grandma used to shake her head at us when we would buy flowers to add to the ones she would give us.  And, then I would just give her a hug and say, "Grandma, it's the way things are now."  And, then she would say, "No, no, let me teach you."  Too bad I didn't learn while I still could have.   


So, I can't help but remember Grandma when I dig in the dirt and take care of my flowers all summer long.  Even though I didn't just make mine appear like magic, I think she would be glad I enjoy flowers like she did. 

Whenever we would go and visit Grandma from March until about October, she would be in the dirt.  Either in the garden or in the flower beds.  That's the other thing about Grandma, she didn't plant flowers in pots, she had huge gardens of them.  She would be bent over digging and us kids would love to run up and scare her.  She would throw her hands in the air and say, "Oy!"  We would laugh and laugh and laugh at the "Oy!" 

I am so extremely grateful that Momma Debi was a picture taker when we were growing up.  Sure, at the time, it might have been annoying, but it is amazing to have so many memories in print.  So, I challenge you that when someone is around with a camera, do not turn away or complain, you never know if that might be the most important memory ever. 

Sister Pister and Grandma


Brother and Grandma


Me and Grandma {I know it's not in the flowers, but notice the shovels in her hand...I'm sure that's where we were headed}


It is crazy to me how similar the pictures of Sister Pister and Brother are.  You see, Sister Pister and Brother are 13 years apart in age.  I guess when you are classic like Grandma was, some things never change. 

4 comments:

Momma Debi said...

So, I never really liked geraniums, I thought they were stinky and a bit messy. But when I planted mine today, the smell and the mess were both pleasant reminders of Mom.

Amy said...

:) Amen.

Anonymous said...

AAAAHhhhh!! Patio furniture!! I just know you're going to love it!! I know that's a lot of exclamation points but patio furniture deserves them :) If you start drinking more, don't tell me I didn't warn you.

Anonymous said...

YAY patio furniture!!! You're going to just love it. And if you start drinking more often, don't tell me I didn't warn you :)