6.15.2010

A Little Way Back

The Mono hit me HARD again because I apparently don't know how to rest.  At least that's what the dr. told me when I went back in yesterday.  I'm just wondering, is there a class to take on how to rest?  A manual to read?  A memo I missed?  Anyways, so I'm on steroids now to decrease the swelling in my throat so I can swallow...kind of.  I'm not going to lie and say this hasn't been so bad because it has been no fun at all.  The worst part is sitting in my house knowing there is life going on out there and I'm stuck away from it.  I like to be with people and I like to be busy so this is hard and is a test of my patience.  

Enough sick talk though, it will all be fine and I will eventually be better.  At least I know this won't last forever and it will get better.  There are people out there fighting fights that have an unknown end and this is what makes me shut my Mono mouth and quit complaining.

While I've been resting, I've had some time to look through pictures and I realized I missed this batch.  Back when I went to Mayo with Mom at the very beginning of May, we went to a Barnes and Noble bookstore.  Doesn't sound that exciting does it?  We've all been to those before.  But, this B and N was amazing!  It is in downtown Rochester right across from the Gonda building of the Mayo Clinic.  It used to be a theater.   


Mom and I went in the evening and it was an excellent way to cap a day.  The architecture of the place is interesting to say the least.  Notice the theater masks in the column by the window. 


When we walked in, I asked the nice gentleman working at the front if I could take pictures and he said, "Yes, but only if you take one of me!" and then he struck a funny little pose.  I didn't have my camera set yet though and the picture turned out completely black.  And, it felt a little awkward to me to ask him to strike his funny little pose again, so I'm sorry to disappoint, but no picture of the B and N worker.  But, look at this ceiling.  It's original and it's lovely. 


I love old.  Old buildings.  Old architecture.  Old things.  It's like you can feel the history when you are around old.  Being in this old theater made me wonder about the actors and actresses and the people who went to see the plays and the ticket sales person and what was the appropriate attire to wear to this theater and scandals {there had to be scandals involved in this theater}.  All of those things start swirling around and then pretty soon you even forget you are in a B and N bookstore in 2010 with people staring at you because you are snapping pictures like a wild thing. 


Now, obviously B and N has added book shelves and book racks and things like that, but the actual building is all original.  Which is pretty darn cool.  When I saw this little ledge, all I could think of was "Oh Romeo.  Where art thou Romeo?"  Or something like that. 


I then asked Mom, "Hey, do you think there's a way to get up to that level?"  And, Mom, being the ever common sense person she is said back to me, "Why yes Amy, I think we can take the escalator."  Hello!  I guess I missed the whole escalator part when I walked in because I was snapping away.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that B and N added that.  Yep, I'm sure they did.  So, up the escalator we went and the second floor was...well, I'll let you look. 


We did seriously want to look at books too, so we did.  Mom was looking for some books to give to the kiddos and this pop-up book was awesome.  She got it. 


I don't know.  Can you gallop like a horse?  I'm not sure if I can.  She got this one too. 


And, please, this poster made me stop in my tracks!  I loved, loved, loved Mercer Mayer books when I was a kid.  There is a video of me when I was four sitting on our living room couch with a red kool-aid smile and my hair all a mess reading Just for You with my "r" and "s" speech issues so very obvious.  It's a keeper that's for sure.   


Then, I found a self portrait.  Seriously, when I saw this, I said to Mom, "Look, it's me."  She laughed. 


I couldn't help but think of my chicken wings when I saw this.  I was gone for a whole week with the Mayo trip and maybe they were all thinking "Miss E. is missing!" 


Then, well, Mom pointed this out to me.  I wonder if it's a hint or something?  It's the second edition.  The first edition must not have been so successful.   


We spent so much time browsing for books and being ridiculous that by the time we left it was night.  A beautiful night. 


I love finding treasures and this book store with its orginal theater quality is a treasure for sure.  It was also a treasure spending that time with Mom.  It's all about finding the good. 

1 comment:

Brittany Miller said...

That is a fabulous little B&N!