6.20.2010

Happy Dad-o Day!

There's a song on the radio these days about a Dad showing his love by changing oil, checking tires, building a deck on a house, fixing things...and I can't help but think of Dad-o when I hear it.  Let's just say Dad-o isn't one that will run up and give you a great big ol' hug or anything wild like that, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care.  I've figured out over the years that it's all of the things he does for all of us all of the time that really show his love. 

Growing up, his number one concern was getting the point where us kids could have the things we wanted.  Now, that's not to say we didn't have to work for those things, but still, he wanted to be able to provide them.  And, he did.  I actually chuckle to myself sometimes at some of the things I could use to be able to talk Dad-o into when I was a teenager.  "Yes, Dad-o, we need that boat.  Can't you see it will provide you with hours of entertainment and relaxation...oh, and well, yeah, we'll have fun with it too."  Let's just say that Dad-o has not had a whole lot of "relaxing" time with the boat, but I know he gets joy out of knowing the rest of us have a ball with it.  I know this because you could tell by the look on his face when Sister Pister learned to water ski when she was just a little thing or when some friends and I would tube until our arms were jelly or, years later, when the grandkids each took their first boat ride. 

In college, anytime Dad-o would come to visit, he was always all, "What needs to be fixed?  Are you sure this is safe like this?  Here, I think you should really do this."  Then, he would take the friends and I all out to eat and he would pick up the tab.  Once again, not running up with a big ol' hug, but still, it was love.

When it was finally time for me to move out completely when college was over, let's just say I went through some houses that first year.  Three to be exact.  Yes, I moved three times in one year.  And, all three of those moves were laborous and the houses required lots of Dad-o attention.  Dad-o would be up on my roof, balancing on one foot, trying to reattach gutters or he would bring the whole shop with him in his service truck to fix a closet door.  Or, and oh I really shouldn't even admit this, but I'm going to.  One night, I swore there was an animal in my office in the third house of that year.  Yes, an animal...I heard it.  So, I freaked out and slammed the door on it and put a towel under the door and put a bunch of chairs in front of the door and then proceeded to call 1-800-Parents.  It was basically the middle of the night and Dad-o drove in from the farm with some buckets, gloves, and I don't even know what else to GET the animal.  Well, turns out there was no actual animal in the room.  But, there was a mouse stuck in the wall that was making scratching noises.  So, during my three houses in one year stint, Dad-o showed a lot of love to me.

Dad-o, you are a fabulous father and I appreciate that you taught me how to set goals, work hard, and achieve.  I also appreciate that you taught me to be tough and have a thick skin.  It's come in handy.  And, I know when you walk in my house now and do your little look around thing to see if anything needs to be done {yes, I notice you doing this}, it's you showing your love.  Thank you.  

If there ever was a picture that epitomizes what I'm trying to say, it's this one.  I snapped it last harvest when Dad-o was looking on as all the action was happening.  And, it shows how proud he is and how he wouldn't rather be doing anything else in the whole world.  


Happy Father's Day Dad-o!

No comments: