6.30.2010

Good Advice

On Monday, I spent my day at a horse show.  Not a rodeo.  A horse show.  There's a big difference.  A horse show is very proper and there are a lot of rules and it does not include cowboys.  Anyways, I spent my day at a horse show because Sister Pister was showing her horse, Gunner.  Now, that is the same horse that she rodeos with so we were all a little concerned about how he would handle a proper horse show because he's used to coming in the gate and runnin and runnin and runnin and runnin {say that like Forest Gump}.  For the horse show, Gunner had to come in the gate and stand still.  It takes a pretty dang good horse and a pretty dang good rider to be able to do both rodeos and horse shows because remember, there is a big difference. 

To get ready for a horse show you have to wash your horse, comb out its mane/tail, trim its face whiskers; it basically has to be cleaner than you are.  I always find it humorous to wash barn yard animals.  I don't know why...it just cracks me up.  So, on Sunday night, Sister Pister washed her horse and then planned to keep him in the barn so he would stay clean.   

Sister Pister, what you doing down there? 


You're doing a little washing you say?  Ok.  Please, I wish you would look more annoyed with me right now.  You don't enjoy my humor while you are washing your horse?  Ok again. 


I was amazed at the shiny-ness. 


I really couldn't quite get over the shiny-ness.  It held my attention for quite some time.  It's not everyday a horse is this shiny people. 


Momma Debi, official horse holder. 


Ever feel like one of these {a horse's a**}?  It happens to me all the time.  Really, all the time.  Don't feel bad. 


When I arrived at the horse show on Monday, I saw this.  Yes, that would be Gunner's very clean and very white sock and his very shiny and very clean back hooves standing right next to a pile of his own poo.  I think this has something to do with why I find it humorous to wash barn yard animals.  When I saw this, I thought to myself, "Self, this reminds you of something...what is it?"   


When I got home and saw this on my kitchen counter, I remembered. 


That would be a birthday card I received from Auntie Colonel and I just can't throw it away.  It makes me laugh every time I see it and besides that, it's just plain old good advice.  Harry S. Truman, your head was not just a hat rack was it?   


And, speaking from personal experience, this is really something everyone should know.  When you are out in a pasture on a hot summer day and you accidently walk or run through a fresh pile of poo, it's a very yucky thing.  Kicking a fresh turd on a hot day really is no fun.  No fun at all. 


After I got over the pile of fresh Gunner poo right behind his clean self, I concentrated on what was important at the horse show.  This would Sister Pister on the right and her good friend on the left.  Notice all the rules like they have to wear helmets, white long sleeve shirts, belts, etc... because it's a horse show.  Sister Pister hates wearing that helmet.  Just thought I should let you know that.   


These two ladies pretty much cleaned house at the horse show for their age division.  They took turns taking Grand and Reserve Champion all day and it was fun to see both girls do so well. 


It really all boils down to this good advice for the day. 

1.  Washing barn yard animals is weird. 
2.  It's alright if you feel like a horse's a** every once in awhile; it happens to me all the time. 
3.  Don't kick a fresh turd on a hot day. 
4.  And, if you work with your horses as much as those two girls do, you will see success.   

No comments: