6.27.2010

One More Time

It's been a month since cow working weekend and I just have to go back there one more time.  It was so wet and muddy and wet and poopy and wet, but productive.  The sad and bad thing is...it's still that wet, and actually, it's even more wet now.  It just isn't a good summer for growing things {turns out green things need the sun every once in awhile} and that can be a bit disheartening to those that grow.  The weather is so uncontrollable and I guess this year will be a test of the perserverance and spirit of all those who depend on it. 

I have to admire those whose pay checks depend on the weather.  I always said growing up, "My job will NOT depend on the weather" because I hated the drought.  And, it turns out my job has nothing to do with the weather.  But, that doesn't mean my heart doesn't still hurt for those who do.  They are strong people, that's for sure.

In the middle of all the frustration with the weather, life still goes on and good still happens.  

Good like this. 
Two farm cousins learning the ropes.   


Cousin B, always a calm force, always ready to lend a hand.  And, he happens to be the one who taught me the majority of what I know about photography.  For that, I will forever be grateful.  He also happens to have very reflective sunglasses. 


Brother, doing what he loves. 


Easy Rider has cows and horses and farm and dirt and tractors in his blood and he already is itching to do everything the "big, big boys" do. 


Firecracker gets into it also.  It always makes me smile to see these two kids learning how to help,  they are already developing a work ethic that will help them for the rest of their lives. 


Who would have thought all of those years ago when Brother would set up all of his animals and pens in the living room and draw his plans for his ranch on paper over and over again that one day he would really be doing it?  He did.  He thought it and he did it.   


A little sweetness. 


Sister Pister's tucking her shirt in.  It's getting serious people.  Last year, for some reason, Sister Pister decided she would try and teach Buckshot and Curly to do round-offs.  It was hilarious.  So, I made them do it again this year because I'm bossy like that.   


Apparently, the boys did not practice the whole year.  Way to go boys. 


Don't you love how little boys are just little boys?      


Dad-o {Papa} has quite the soft spot for his grandkids. 


Sometimes the feet just need a break from the mud boots.  They just do. 


Cousin B and his wife, Pic {I like to refer to her as partner-in-crime}.  They are two of the hardest working people you will ever find and they always help whenever it's needed.  Pic and I are cut from the same cloth {high-strung, do it yesterday types} and when we get together, let's just say, stuff gets d.o.n.e.  And, we have some fun too.  And, we are both highly competitive and let's just say there was an incident of ladder golf one summer when I actually yelled across to her, "WE cannot be losing right now!!  WE don't lose!"  

 
There are just some moments in life when you think, "well, there you have it" and this was one of those times.  If you ever question how much a child looks up to the adults in their lives, I think this picture ought to answer that for you. 


And, then, a cute baby sighting.  I can't believe how much he's grown in the last month.  Little Man looks like a little peanut...now he's a big, little peanut. 


Time will fly like it always does and soon he will be out with the rest of us crazies.  Then, he will wonder what he has gotten himself in to.  Then, I'll tell him, because I love to state the obvious, that he's gotten himself into a gong show. 

No comments: