8.12.2010

A Day at the Horse Races

Well, it wasn't really a day at the horse races, but when this is what you see, a person might get confused. 


Sister Pister had a horse show on Saturday.  It was hot.  It was humid.  It was hot.  It was humid.  Did I mention it was hot?  After the actual events such as western riding and reining, they have the speed events like barrels and poles.  Then, they do games.  Horse games.  Who knew such a thing existed.  This one is called the ribbon race.  And, here's the break down of it.  Two people hold onto a ribbon between their horses and then they do the barrel pattern.  At mock ten.  Well, not everyone does it at mock ten, but Sister Pister and Megan felt the need to give the crowd a mild heart attack.  They went fast.  So fast the dirt was a flying and I couldn't get any clear pictures.  I'm still sharing them with you though because I think they show the grit of two young ladies.  

Sister Pister and Megan actually did the race twice.  First they used Fox and Fred because they thought they would be a good fit together.  They look so calm, cool, and collected.  Now, me?  I would have been freaking out at the thought of what lay ahead.      

  
Because this is not my idea of a good time.  This was at the start...trying to get the two horses to go at the same speed. 


After Fox and Fred, it was Gunner and Copper's turn.  Now, these two horses are both a little on the firey side so we were all wondering how it was going to go. 


Fast.  That's how it went.  Both girls came out of this laughing {I would have been crying} and on an adrenaline rush and both horses came out of this breathing heavily.  They, the girls not the horses, had to hold onto the ribbon and the reins which leaves no hands to hang on with.  That's my idea of scary when you are going this fast.  But, it's their idea of fun I guess.  To each their own. 

Again, I apologize for the blurry.  But between the dirt flying, the humidity fog stuff, and the speed, I didn't have a prayer of attaining clarity. 


I couldn't believe how in sync the two horses were when they were running home from the third barrel. 


Then, when it was all over, Firecracker wanted a little ride.  She came with Momma Debi {Nana} to the horse show to have a special day.  Firecracker slightly resembles Sister Pister.  Actually, that's an understatement; she's more like a spitting image of her.  I laughed when I first glanced at these two pictures.  They have the same exact looks both times. 


A hot and humid day at the sort of horse races makes for some entertainment, that's for sure. 

1 comment:

Megan Haner said...

Amy, I found these pictures for the FIRST time. :) It made me so happy. SO incredibly happy and giddy. I started laughing remembering all the fun and goofy stuff this summer. It made me miss it. Miss the hot. Miss the humid. Miss you being there every time you could with your camera snapping shots. And miss firecracker smiling wanting to ride as bad as Em. I can't wait for February to be over and for spring to finally get here. Can't wait to see all your pictures and adventures documented for all of our entertainment. :)