3.08.2011

Produce

Here's a little eye candy from my trip to the grocery store yesterday evening.  It's safe to say my soul is in need of warm weather.  I took pictures of things.  With people staring.   In a grocery store.  Just because of their color and their life.  That must be a sign spring is needed!


I have major aspirations this summer to have a garden so I can enjoy fresh produce that came from this ground.  And I have an even more lofty goal of then canning and freezing that produce so it will last through the winter.

Nerd much?


My grandma and mom used to do a crazy amount of canning and freezing their garden produce when I was a young one.  I thought they were weird.  The mess drove me batty.  I had the snobbish attitude that you if you could just buy your food, why wouldn't you?  The mess drove me batty.  I thought it was so extremely old fashioned.  

Is it a true sign of growing up when those things you once thought your family was loony for doing are now things you either do yourself or yearn to do?  If so, then I'm done growed up.


Because I now have this sense that the old fashioned way of dealing with food is smart, not weird.  And, yes the mess will still drive me batty...that I can guarantee.  But, there's value in homemade and homegrown and I want a piece of that.  Mess and all.  Besides, chopping vegetables is one of my favorite past times. 


But our dirt is still frozen solid so I'm going to have to settle for the grocery store eye candy with hopes that next winter I'll have rows of Mason jar eye candy sitting on my shelves instead.  Mason jars with silver lids.  That will be a rule.   


Moving on to a totally random side note, I actually used to think that the milk inside the carton was the same color as outside the carton. 

No, it wasn't last year.


On another random side note, this salsa should have been added to my current list of obsessions in the last post.  It is so yummy that I even ate it on broccoli last week.  It is that good.  Blake, if you are reading this, thanks for the salsa guidance.  But probably you are not reading this so Danae...please go tell your husband thanks for being the salsa guru. 


Let's hope that soon it will stop being January 67th and instead be the March that it's supposed to be.  I think taking pictures in a grocery store can only happen once in your life.  There needs to be some eye candy outside.  Real soon. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pix, you can even make a grocery trip fun.

Momma Debi said...

I've purchased the seed and I am ready to start digging! Goodbye snow, please. Our garden spot is still under about 8-10 feet of snow.

Tonya said...

Amy~canning is not for the weak...so you are welcome anytime to help me can! A little or alot of wine helps the process be so much more fun! Nothing better than grabbing a jar of tomatoes, salsa or pickles from your own shelves. My sisters and I even do canned apple pie filling...lots of fun.

Amy said...

Watch out Tonya...I just might show up at your doorstep next fall. But, I'll bring a bottle or maybe two of wine! :)