3.27.2011

Rise and Shine

Vacation mornings.  To most that would probably mean sleeping in, but to my dad it just means you get up at the same time you always get up.  And to me it means I wake up then also; either because of the noise of him getting a cup of coffee or because he felt the need to wake me up.  For the latter of the two, my dad would shake my shoulder while I was deep in slumber on the couch and say, "Hey, get up.  It's going to be a good one."  By that he meant that it was going to be a beautiful sunrise over the ocean right outside our door.  

I must admit a couple of mornings I went, "Yeah, yeah.  We'll see."  Then I promptly threw my arm over my head and went back into my vacation snoozing.  But thank goodness I didn't always do that; I would have missed out on mornings that make you want to pinch yourself because you can't believe something that calming, that inspiring, that breathtaking could possibly exist on this earth.  

Also, the fact that my dad wanted me to experience those mornings with him makes my heart happy.  Just the two of us up drinking coffee and watching the same sun.  It was one of my favorite parts of vacation.  Sometimes my uncle was up also and then it was like two men and a lady.  Well, maybe not quite.  I'm not really a lady during the day, much less at the crack of dawn.  But there was something about those mornings.  Knowing the whole day was unfolding and it was like we were getting a sneak peak. 


After a cup of coffee and once the sun was up in the air, I would go for a run on the beach and once again be amazed at how lucky I was to experience that kind of fabulous.  Then it was time to officially start the day.  And it's always easier to start the day when you've already been blessed with a few moments of goodness.

No comments: