6.19.2011

Looking Back

Maybe it's because I'm older now.  Maybe it's because it's Father's Day.  Maybe it's because although I'm not a crier, I am sappy.  Maybe it's because I had the perfect birthday...a day of feeling loved and celebrated.  Maybe it's because I have a great Dad and had amazing Grandpas.  I'm not sure why it is, but I feel nostalgic this morning.  

Having a bit of a catch my breath as I look back at pictures and know that even before I could have ever been aware of it, I was wrapped in love by three strong on the outside, but mushy on the inside men.  

A hard working young farmer with his brand new daughter.  I wonder if he knew then that he would teach me how to set goals, work hard, and achieve.  And I wonder if he knew that I would cause him some strife along the way because of my stubborn ways, but that I would always love him because he's the reason I am so strong.  
 
 
A young dad with a farmer's tan, tired after no doubt putting in a long day working hard, but still taking a moment in the evening with his freshly bathed kids.  One snuggled tightly in the crook of his arm sleeping without a care in the world and one with a mischievous grin not really sleeping but wanting to try to be just like his dad. 


A Grandpa Elmer with a feather in his hat, his shirt unbuttoned how it always was, and his sideburns in their signature style having a quiet moment during a family get together with his newest granddaughter.  I wonder what he was thinking as he looked down at me holding my feet gently with his leathered hands.  Could he tell that I would love to have a good time as much as he did and would share in his story telling art? 


A Grandpa Norman with his clothes dirty from a day of working on the farm visiting with his first granddaughter before supper.  Did he know then that I would always love the feel of his whiskered and wrinkled face when he hugged me every single time he saw me asking without fail, "How's grandpa's little girl?"  And did he know that I would always appreciate him being one my biggest fans?      


I'm one of the lucky ones.  A girl who has always had a dad in her life, pushing her and teaching her and loving her even when she was an unruly, head strong teenager who thought she knew everything about everything.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  A girl who had grandpas who loved their families, setting the example, and whose greatest joys were spoiling their grandkids. 

Maybe it's that I am finally at the point in my life where I realize just how great of a family I come from.   

I'm not sure why it is.  But I know that on this Father's Day, I want my dad to have a very happy day and thank him for putting up with me.  And I want to throw up a message of I wish I could hug and smush your faces to both of my grandpas.  

Because I'm one of the lucky ones.  
    

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Tears in my eyes again, Amy. Recognizing your dad, of course and your Grandpa Elmer, of course. I think Bonnie is actually holding Josh in that picture taken at Mil and Charlie's farm at a family reunion. Your words are so moving. Happy Father's Day to all the dads and grandpas and great grandpas - both on earth and in heaven. Amen.

Amy said...

I thought maybe that was Josh with Bonnie...and yes it was for sure at Mildred and Charlie's. That much I do know. :) Glad you got a piece of family and hope you had a great day with yours!

matt n karisa said...

All along I was thinking, "This girl could write one heck of a greeting card." And then I get to your wording at the end ("throw up a message", which struck me as PUKE) and just.had.to.laugh. :)

Amy said...

I didn't even think of that Karisa! Haha is right! :)