6.12.2011

Flying Time

Where does the time go?  I mean for real, time flies doesn't it?  I wish sometimes I could just hit the slow motion button on the remote and life would just slow it's roll for a bit.  And right now, the time flying thing...I can't even blame on work or anything normal like that.  I guess my closet cleaning rampage and helping friends put their houses back together after the big evacuation have been keeping me hopping, but still.  Time, you need to slow your butt down. 

Because it has already been a week, a whole week, since I was sitting on a Sunday morning enjoying a splurge of a yummy raspberry muffin with good black coffee and the company of a forever friend.  How can it already be another Sunday morning?  Now, here I am with my black coffee and no splurge of a muffin and I'm by myself.  Hmmmm....last Sunday was the winner. 


It was a week ago that I stood in a BEAUTIFUL, now close to empty, house by the Missouri River in our capital city and was awe struck at the force of the flooding.  I was also awe struck by the owner's of that amazing home; that was the first time I had met them {they are relatives of my friend} and they still had these great auras of let's attack this problem and get on with living and loving our life.  It was inspiring.   


And I could not get over the current that the Big Muddy has going on right now.  Pictures do not do it justice, it is crazy fast.  Even close to the shore. 


It has also been a whole week since I attended a professional reading organization meeting.  Everytime I am at a meeting like that, I have a moment of "When did I become an adult?  A real adult that goes to meetings and helps make decisions that matter.  Yeah, when did that happen?"  I also always make sure I have a good pen with, this time it was a sharpie, because a good pen can make all the difference in the world. 

Then after the meeting in which I was a grown-up, my friend picked me up and I borrowed tennies from her aunt {thank you!} so we could walk by the river.  It was unbelievably perfect outside; borrowing tennies was a must because when it's sunny, warm, and not windy in our state, a person has to be out.in.it. 


Our capital city has fabulous paths that follow the river.  The beauty of the water almost made me forget that the river is in high flood stage and is causing all kinds of problems.  Give me the setting sun, a railroad bridge, a pretty sky, and I can be entertained for a long time.  

 
Like I said, I almost forgot about the flooding.  Almost.  But then there would be a reminder that indeed, this is not normal.  A reminder like the water being freakishly close to the path.  So close you don't want to make a wrong step in some places.  A reminder like boat ramp signs being almost completely under water.  A reminder like orange cones and police tape blocking off the path where the water has won.  A reminder like the grass along the path being shaggy and over grown because city workers have much bigger issues on their plates right now than perfectly trimmed grass.  Yes, those reminders kept the beauty in check with the reality. 


Time.  It's flying.  Because it was also a whole week ago when I ate at a Mexican restaurant before that river walk.  We picked that restaurant because it has an outdoor patio and again, when it's finally perfect weather here, you must be out.in.it. 

And it was a whole week ago, that I woke up at four in the morning with food poisoning. 

I guess I'm okay with not hitting the slow motion button on the remote for some things.   

Because that food poisoning business is painful.  I suffered the whole next day and even made my parents make the drive from the farm in to my house at nine o'clock at night just to make sure I was still a human.  I was seriously starting to wonder.  Dad-o went to the grocery store to get crackers, applesauce, and bananas because his advice was "You need something to soak up that bad stuff."  Momma Debi brought me water and watched Real Housewives of New Jersey with me.  It's good to not be alone when the status of your human being quality is in question.   

2 comments:

Kathy Jensen said...

Amy, aren't parents the best??!! Yours came to your rescue to make sure you were alright and you had all that you needed so that you would feel better. Mine came to my rescue last week as we feverishly moved stuff from my basement to the main level here and at the house next door--all without being asked. They could just tell by the panic in my voice that I needed them even though I could not ask them to come. Just having my dad hug me many times over and say it is going to be alright was all I really needed. Your parents knew you needed them just as much! My hope is that one day I will be that parent to my boys! Glad you are feeling better!! And again, you made me cry! Your writings hit the nail on the head time after time!!

Amy said...

Kathy, I have no doubt you are an amazing parent who will always be there for your boys just when they need it most. :)

And, thank you for your continued encouragement...I appreciate it so very much!