6.09.2011

They Don't Move

My friend Sara sent me a message a few months ago saying, "Amy, do you think there is anyway you could get some shots of our reception before people are there?  I want pictures of all the decorations when it is empty."  I quickly sent a reply of, "YES!  Detail shots are my favorite, favorite, favorite!"  Why such enthusiasm over details? 

Here's why.  They don't move.  They are pretty.  They are driven by a theme.  They don't move. 

Last Saturday, first I had a crazy "quick" shopping trip here in my town that involved actually wearing the sweats I had slept in to the mall.  You heard me.  I'm not sure why I thought that was appropriate, but I did.  Add to it I decided upon entering the mall, that the first stop I made should be to get my eyebrows waxed.  For as much planning and organizing that I do, one would think I would think things through a bit more.  Eyebrows flaming red, hair in a slept up-do {not to be mistaken with a swept up-do which would have been classy}, not a stitch of makeup, and sweats I slept in.  Oh yeah.  Looking back, I think my thought process after having a lovely early morning of coffee on my patio in the sun was...it's early, it's Saturday morning, who goes to the mall anyway, and I really don't want to try on clothes after I do my hair because that would be silly.  Turns out, a lot of people go to the mall on a Saturday morning.  Good thing I really am totally fine with appearing like a hot mess in public.  Always have been.  

After that whole shenanigan, I headed down to our state's capital city to get pictures of CJ and Sara's reception details before any people had sat in the chairs.  I made the decorator folks light some candles for me and I stood on the previously mentioned chairs because have I told you...I love details?  

They don't move.  Ahhhh, let's just have a moment for that.  And now let's have a moment for their prettiness.  


Then, I changed in the venue's bathroom because I still wasn't wearing my wedding clothes.  No way could I have kept clothes clean and non-wrinkly for the hour and a half drive.  Jeans for this girl traveling.   


When I walked out, wheeling my suitcase, I felt like I was back in college.  Partly because my friend April was there to pick me up and we had many a times of changing in odd places on the way to weddings in college.  Many.  Partly because it was me, April, her vehicle-which hosts a variety of things, and a place to go that was fun.  All of that simply equals college memories for me.  And after the wedding, when we climbed on dirt dikes to have a cocktail by the river, it solidified those nostalgic feelings.  Because never would we let spray paint on buildings, dirt, and sand bags stop our fun.  Please know the establishment we went to was open for business so we were not breaking any "flood laws" by driving and climbing the dikes.  I guess the mighty Missouri River can't stop their fun either. 

 
Nothing says between wedding and reception classy cocktail hour like the scenes from above.  I still am in a bit of amazement that I kept that white number clean the whole time.   

Once at the reception, I was greeted by these two fun faces.  They are always worth a smile. 


Although, this is how I feel on the inside most of the time.  It's an accurate visual. 


A wedding Saturday that started with a trip to the mall wearing the sweats I slept in ended with fabulous details, changing in a bathroom, climbing on dirt dikes in heels, and good times at the dance.  A successful Saturday in my book. 

No comments: