9.14.2011

Behind the Scenes Little Moments

Saturday I was eating sushi, talking about tattoos, and riding motorcycles.  Sunday I was at a rodeo. 

I've always wanted to be the type of person who can go anywhere and thrive.  Be around all types of people and find common threads.  Experience all there is to experience.  Cliche' much?  

This past weekend delivered on its eclectic mix.   

At Sister Pister's high school rodeos, I have turned into "The sister who takes pictures using a big camera so she could take pictures of us too right?"  So on Sunday, I took approximately 216 pictures of horses, teenagers, and ropes in action.  Those have not been edited yet.  I always get after the behind the scenes little moments pictures first while I'm drinking hot coffee and eating homemade Momma Debi bread with peanut butter and honey that was warmed in the microwave for forty-seven seconds at 5:12 in the morning.  I'm drawn to them and quite frankly, when it's 5:12 in the morning, you do what you want to do.  It's my time.

And my eye goes to the little moment pictures... 

Like Gracie Lou eating a popsicle that was bigger than her while wearing a purple ring and ladybug earrings.  She loves her some jewelry too.  


Like eating a peach that was so juicy it literally dripped down my chin.  My friend Jessie {Grace's mom} packed peaches and water for the rodeo.  She is a genius to think of such things.  I do believe this comes with having children.  When I show up somewhere, I have with...myself.   With the possible addition of some lip gloss.  Besides the fact that Jess kept me hydrated and fueled, it was fabulous to have hours to sit with her and catch up on life.  


Like being back behind the chutes with the broncs and bulls and bull riders and their equipment.  I was trying to get the best angle for the team roping pictures and it turned out that the best angle was being in the pens with the broncs and bulls.  


While standing in that dirty dirt, I couldn't help but think about how when I was a teenage girl being behind the chutes with the bronc and bull riders was a big deal.   A real big deal.  Similar to entering the land of Oz.  Those boys were sooo cute and held up on pedestals.

Now as a twenty-eight year old, I laugh at the thought of being nervous to be somewhere with cute boys.  Obviously I've lost my need to impress because I'm completely at ease being the nerdy camera "old" lady climbing around the pens while the riders are busy getting their equipment ready.  What did you say young grasshopper?  It looks funny with me pointing my camera at your bull rope?  I'm quite okay with that.    

Besides, teenage boys are too young for me.

I love to state the obvious.  

 
Then, I couldn't have staged the next scene better if I would have planned and tried for it.

I walked back around to the stands side of the arena and it was there, leaning up against the fence, I spotted Sister Pister and Megan checking out some team roping boys.   I went up to them and said, "Hey, heyyy.  What are you two doing?" with a little smile on my face knowing exactly what their answer would be.  

And their reply, "That one is soooo cute!"

Ahhhhhh, those were the days.  


After I found my lawn chair back, Grace provided us with entertainment once again.  She's just like her momma.  Just like her.  I can't wait to listen to the stories when she is a teenager and I can turn to Jessie and say, "Hmmmmm, sounds familiar huh?"  


Maybe tomorrow morning I will get after the 216 pictures of horses, teenagers, and ropes in action.  Those are the ones the kids and parents want their hands on more than a picture of a peach with two bites out of it sitting on my lap.  

Until then, keeping with the random train of thoughts that is spewing out of me at this moment...check these out.  Last week, Danae and I chopped and blanched fresh veggies to make our own stir-fry packets to use this winter.


Pretty sure I was channeling Grandma Gladys as I was lopping off the ends of beans and chopping them up.  I've always said there is something very satisfying about chopping vegetables, but there is something even more freaking heart warming about taking a step back and preparing real food.  Like they did in the old days.  Only not all of the veggies we used came from the garden.  We aren't quite as with it as Grandma Gladys was.

I can't wait until this winter when I pull out one of these packs and voila, fresh summer-ish meal goodness.  


And here's one more caboose on the random train.  On Labor Day, I went out to the farm to ride horse with my sister.  I rode Fox and had to put him in one time-out when we turned to head home.  But other than that, we were friends which allowed the sister and I to have some much needed bonding time without distractions.

Sister Pister did remark at one point, "Only you would put a horse in a time-out and tell him in a teacher voice why he can't behave like that.  Only you."


Momma Debi kept the camera out when we were putting the horses away and provided me with more evidence of why my face will be a wrinkly mess at a too young of age.  Do you think I could ever learn to not have such serious reactions to the happenings around me?  I was simply currying Fox while visiting with my sister.  That's all.  There was really no need for face contortions.   


There you have it.  Behind the scenes little moments.  Popsicle slurping, peach eating, rodeo watching, cute boy navigating, veggie chopping, horse time-outing, followed with face contorting.

I'm sure it all made perfect sense.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the bronc picture.

-Sister Pister

Amy said...

Thank ya sister. I love you!