9.18.2011

5k Morning Smell

Early yesterday morning, in the freezing cold wind and rainy mist, Karen and I were walking across Cottonwood Park trying to find the start line for the 5k race.  It was the kind of early when it's still dark and you aren't sure why you are awake.  We were joined by many other runners trying to find the start line.  Since we only were running the 5k, nervous was not on our agenda.  But for the marathon runners and the half marathon runners, the nervous energy was in the air and abundant.  Most are quiet as they prepare for a race.  Most do not cause scenes.  Most do not laugh until they cry.  Most are not Karen and I.   

As we were walking along, I started to smell a smell.  A bad smell.  A cat sh** smell.

We all know how I feel about cats, much less their smell.  

I started freaking out and yelling and waving my arms, "Cat sh**!!  I smell cat sh**!  It's following us.  It won't go away!"

People started moving away from us in their journey to the start line.  Avoid the crazies.  Avoid the crazies.    

Karen's shoulders started to shake from laughing and the smell kept coming.  

I finally stopped walking because I couldn't take it anymore, threw my hands in the air, and yelled, "It's cat sh**!  I know it!  Check your shoes.  People check your shoes!  Check your shoes!!  It's following us!"   

And then I proceeded to check my shoes and Karen checked the soles of hers and the people around us did not check their shoes because a serious marathon runner who was walking next to us said, "It's a compost pile.  Not cat poop."

Well alright then.  Compost smells exactly like cat sh**.  

After the whole smell debacle, we ran the 5k in the windy cold rainy loveliness.

After the 5k, we jumped in the car and went to the nearest gas station to grab coffees before going back to the finish line to watch the half marathoners finish.  And to check to make sure they didn't have cat sh** on their shoes.  


Let me just say this.  Running a 5k is way less stressful than running a half.  No preparation necessary.  Show up and run and then drink coffee.  It was relaxing.  

Later in the car, Karen started to laugh again and said, "What were you thinking anyway?  It's not like cats poop in the park.  They aren't like dogs.  They use litter boxes."  

I quickly set her straight by replying, "Ummmm...excuse me.  I was thinking it was wild cats that were sh**ing in the park.  Thank you very much."  

Then we both started to laugh so hard tears were rolling down our cheeks because it's not like wild cats are frequent in parks and really they are more referred to as stray cats.

Never a dull moment.  Never.  

Now, anyone knows that a morning race run must be followed with a night of fun.  It's a rule.  Check yes to wine, fruit, cheese, and sparkly clutches.  


Check yes to martinis.  Especially the espresso martini.

 
Check NO to cat sh** smell in the morning.  I won't ever have a compost pile in my backyard.  That I can guarantee.  

3 comments:

Brittany Miller said...

Might have peed a little reading this and laughing! Is that how you spell peed? pead? No, I think it's peed....

Jessie said...

Nice to know you weren't just being nice about liking the clutch :) Also in your blog about the new baby, you look sexy in your skinny jean ;)

Amy said...

I really do love that clutch...you rock! And nice to know I look sexy while in a hospital room. haha! :)